The Long Journey Home


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Jersey » North Arlington
February 13th 2011
Published: February 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Trevi FountainTrevi FountainTrevi Fountain

Ensuring my return one day back to Rome!
Ah...the return route. It always seems longer than the ride there doesn't it? Dealing with the night train certainly does not make things any easier either. However, to be fair, when 45 Euro gets you from Milan to Paris in 9 hours and includes an overnight stay...what can one really expect ? When Mike and I finally made it back to Lueven there was both a sense of sadness that our journey was over, yet accomplishment over the sheer magnitude of what we experienced. We saw drastic changes in language, culture, and landscape; from hearty dutch Belgium, through elegant France, culminating in the ever passionate Italy. It truly was an experience of a lifetime. I felt like a culture warrior because, unfortunately, much of what everyday Europe knows about the US is from American media. When Lady Gaga and the Jersey Shore cast is what the free world naturally associates with American culture it can lead to some...err...interesting conversations to say the least. It is only through dialogue where we able to remove the vale that disconnects so many.

You see, even though I was only gone for 2 weeks, when I returned to America it felt like everything was moving in high speed. New Jersey for the most part went on without me but something was different...I was different. As Mike would say, "traveling changes you." I could try to explain the feeling in words but to do so would serve it injustice. I will leave you with this. It is easy, and even tempting, to compare cultures or buy into preconceived notions but I wouldn't suggest doing that. Get out of your comfort zone and live it. Attempt a new language with gusto, keep an open mind when ordering food, and be patient. If things seem strange or out of place, go with it! Locals are proud to show off their way of life. They love it when you try and typically will have mercy on you when you fail. I think the Italians say it best, "Quando a Roma vai, fa come vedrai." (When in Rome do as the Romans do.) When you think of yourself as a guest rather than a tourist, suddenly the world seems a lot smaller.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0236s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb