New York City


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Jersey » Newark
July 29th 2006
Published: July 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Rose at Newark HiltonRose at Newark HiltonRose at Newark Hilton

Fancy pillows oh how we enjoyed them about 8 hours later.
Today was one of adventure. We chose to stay in Neward, NJ just near NYC. We arrived at 3:30 or so and settled into the Hilton Gateway for $129.00 pernight plus parking and anything extra we want. We stay here 2 nights and explore by taking public transportation to Manhatten.

We didn't have a clue about how to travel but this hotel has a direct skywalk to Penn Station so we went there and funally learned that we needed PATH - a train- subway that gets over to several stops in Manhatten. The first black lady I spoke to about how to get over there said I needed to take 'PUFF' I thought. PATH was spelled out eventually.

The trip over was uneventful. We just ask questions and make new friends (except for those who don't speak to strangers). A nkice lady guided us to 33rd Street Manhatten. Piece of cake! Then we were overwhelmed with the 6:00 rush of people on the streets and everywhere. We immediately bought a two-day tour bus pass on Grayline and hopped aboard. We did the downtown tour and Trade Center 911 site and much more. Then we hopped the night tour and
Don at 911 siteDon at 911 siteDon at 911 site

Memorial boards
went across Brooklyn bridge and back and forth in Manhatten just taking in all the Friday night scenes on the streets. It is unbelieveable the number of people everywhere and stuff to do and see.

Returning home on PATH was a bit of nightmare because they did some strange train loops that left us stranded waiting for next trains that had somEhow shifted to after 11 slower service. We did eventually get home and in bed by 1:30 am. Would you believe we had not found a washroom for about 7 hours? And the last food we had eaten aside from Rose's trail mix in her purse was at about 3:00 PM the afternoon.? Hey we did not suffer but sure were glad to get back in this room.

Anyway, we're off again to experience our second day on those silly tour buses, this time probably to get off at a few spots and explore a bit more. Maybe tonight we'll take a trip up the Empire State Bldg. But we're going to use every available bathroom all day! More news to follow.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

at 911 siteat 911 site
at 911 site

Very humbling and sombre


Tot: 0.22s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 15; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0797s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb