The Long and Lonely Road


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nebraska » Broken Bow
June 25th 2011
Published: March 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Nebraska SandhillsNebraska SandhillsNebraska Sandhills

Cattle (in the far distance) range in the endless Nebraska Sandhills

Nebraska Sandhills





Today, I crossed one of the most evocative regions of the entire trip so far, the Nebraska Sandhills.

This region is a place for visitors to lose themselves, and possibly find themselves.

Here the farms of the Great Plains turn into the wide open spaces of the west.





The road starts with a premonition of what is to come.

It’s located next to a big rail yard.

The rail yard is filled with coal trains.

In the relatively flat plains, trains are miles long.

The road runs next to a busy rail line, so those trains were passing by on a regular basis.





The first part of the road looks like the Nebraska I knew already, flat and covered with farms.

Things changed soon enough.

The plants disappeared to be replaced with grass and wheat.

Houses became further apart.

The only trees were either obviously planted or located along lazy streams.

The biggest change was the hills.

The hills looked more like waves than conventional mounds.

A road cut revealed the reason.

The
Mason CityMason CityMason City

Welcome to the entirety of Main Street, Mason City Nebraska
hills are actually sand dunes with grass on them!

The Sandhills region is the largest grass covered dune system in the world.





The scenery is haunting, and creates an irresistible urge to take photos.

A single tree lies next to a dirt road surrounded by a sea of grass.

A winding muddy river is lined with trees.

A depression filled with swamp grass lies surrounded by hills.

A crest in the road reveals hills like waves stretching to the horizon.

Windmills lie isolated on the endless grassy hills.

A herd of cattle huddles in a depression, looking for shade in the heat.

Towns are few and far between, and the further west the road goes the smaller and farther apart they became.

Eventually, even the houses and windmills disappeared, leaving the railroad as the only sign of civilization.

This landscape is profoundly empty, one of the least populated areas of the US south of Alaska.


Mason City Nebraska



Some of the towns are memorable places to stop.

When it was founded in the middle 1800s, Mason City was an important place.

It has a
Sandhills RiverSandhills RiverSandhills River

A typical river crossing in the sandhills. The sand just under the grass is readily apparent here
perfectly preserved three block brick Victorian main street from those days, with a post office, stores, tiny city hall, and bank.

The street ends at a jewel of a city park with a band shell.

The place is almost the perfect stereotype of what a small town should look like.

Unfortunately, the town has shriveled away over the decades and is nearly a ghost town now.





Dunning is most notable as the location of a regional high school.

Schools in rural areas tend to be small, and this one was very small.

The entire building was the size of two football fields.

The actual football field, with two sets of bleachers, was next to the school.

A dusty baseball diamond was across the street, next to a cow pasture.

About the only other sign of civilization was some houses along the road, and the railroad.





Broken Bow is unbelievably huge for this area, with a population of nine thousand.

It was the only city on the entire route with fast food restaurants.

I had lunch at a family run diner called Tumbleweed Cafe.
Sandhills high football fieldSandhills high football fieldSandhills high football field

Sandhills high school football field, in Dunning Nebraska

Everyone there was local, discussing crop yields and other farm issues.

Like Stean’s Café, this one has tribute to local military heroes (see The Cumberland).


Nebraska National Forest



Halfway through the drive falls the strangest site yet on the trip, Nebraska National Forest.

The logical reaction should be “A forest of any kind is in Nebraska? Say what?”

This forest is completely man made.

In the early 1900s, a botany professor from the University of Nebraska, Charles Bessey, became convinced that local farmers were using up the soil.

He feared that this would destabilize the land and the soil would blow away.

His proposed solution to this problem was to plant trees to act as windbreaks.

He convinced hundreds of volunteers to plant a forest on the sand hills to research which trees would be best for this environment.

Eventually, the federal government acquired the forest.

Needless to say, his vision was prescient, as the Dust Bowl proved him right.

Research done in Nebraska National Forest proved crucial to subsequent conservation efforts.





Driving through the forest is both normal and surreal.

On one level, it
Nebraska National ForestNebraska National ForestNebraska National Forest

A completely man-made forest in Nebraska
looks just like any other pine forest on rolling hills.

The vistas are pretty.

The trees were planted in random patterns, so the forest looks natural.

On another level, it looks really out of place, because the landscape abruptly changes to grass just beyond its limits.

A fire tower exists on top of the highest hill within the forest.

The tower is closed but the parking lot provides good views of the area.





Further west, I passed through the little town of Mullen.

Some towns around here get to boast of being the largest in their county.

Mullen is the ONLY incorporated town in its county.

Imagine a place where a small grocery store is the only one for thirty miles in any direction to sense the emptiness of this landscape.





The drive ends abruptly at the town of Alliance.

The rolling hills simply disappear, replaced by flat farmland.

The railroad runs into a huge yard.

I turned north at this point to see a famous work of folk art.


Carhenge



In 1987, farmer Jim Reinders painted a
CarhengeCarhengeCarhenge

Auto folk art outside Alliance Nebraska
large number of old cars grey and stuck them in the ground in a circular pattern.

He called the work Carhenge, after Stonehenge in England.

Decades later, they are still there, and are now a tourist attraction.

The owners have added other example of what they call “auto art”, including a dinosaur made out of old doors, a flowerbed made of old transmissions, and stellae made of cars welded together.

These last examples look worryingly unstable.

I enjoyed the site as much for the surrounding prairie, which is one of the few examples of undisturbed grass in the area.

It was filled with wildflowers and other plants normally not seen around here.

Overall, I enjoyed the visit and every fan of folk art owes themselves a look at this place.





Heading out of Alliance, I got a lesson on the power of nature.

A very large black cloud was moving in from the west.

In the plains, views are long distance so what looks like bad weather may never actually reach.

When the cloud started to flash, I worried a bit.

Still, no thunder so it
The storm closes inThe storm closes inThe storm closes in

A huge thunderstorm, heading straight for me.
was quite a bit away.

Then, I heard thunder.

The cloud was six miles away and closing.

I began to feel like a very small speck in a vast space as the cloud blocked out the sky.

Weather out here can be severe with hail and even tornadoes, and I had nowhere to hide.

When the cloud finally hit, it was thankfully just pouring rain.

After it passed, I got yet another double rainbow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

Mason City general storeMason City general store
Mason City general store

Its been a long time since there was business in the tiny town of Mason City.
Mason City parkMason City park
Mason City park

Classic city park at the end of Mason City's single downtown street.
Broken BowBroken Bow
Broken Bow

In the Sandhills, this qualifies as a major city!
Sandhills road to nowhereSandhills road to nowhere
Sandhills road to nowhere

Sky and pavement stretch to the horizon in the Sandhills.
Nebraska national forestNebraska national forest
Nebraska national forest

Man made forest in the Nebraska sandhills
Nebraska National ForestNebraska National Forest
Nebraska National Forest

Another view of the most unlikely forest in the United States
Nebraska National ForestNebraska National Forest
Nebraska National Forest

Another view of the most unlikely forest in the United States
Lake and coal trainLake and coal train
Lake and coal train

Miles long coal train behind a sandhills lake. Note the pure-sand lakeshore under the grass.
MullenMullen
Mullen

The only town of any size in its county in the western sandhills.
Lake and hillsLake and hills
Lake and hills

Western sandhills
Rolling sandhillsRolling sandhills
Rolling sandhills

Western sandhills
Antioch potash millAntioch potash mill
Antioch potash mill

Remains of the potash mill established during World War II. Now a historic site.
Carhenge benchCarhenge bench
Carhenge bench

At Carhenge even the benches are auto art.
Carhenge closeupCarhenge closeup
Carhenge closeup

Auto art in western Nebraska
stelaestelae
stelae

Auto art in western Nebraska
Car part dinosaursCar part dinosaurs
Car part dinosaurs

Old autos become folk art at Carhenge
Double rainbowDouble rainbow
Double rainbow

Aftermath of a huge thunderstorm in western Nebraska
sunsetsunset
sunset

At least thunderstorms lead to great sunsets on the Nebraska plains.


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 36; dbt: 0.033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb