Visiting Yellowstone National Park and the Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center. The things we often don't know about what is going on with the bears, worldwide (including poaching): and what is going on with the gray wolves in North America.


Advertisement
Published: July 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

6/5/08: Our journey included a visit to West Yellowstone, and fortunately a visit to the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center in the town of West Yellowstone. The scenery I include here is also from the long drive it took to get here, including scenes from the Badlands in North Dakota, and the splendid Alpine views of Wyoming. I had mixed feelings about the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center: it was g... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Everyone loves a baby... such a cute little bearEveryone loves a baby... such a cute little bear
Everyone loves a baby... such a cute little bear

Photo obtained at the Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center
Showing some history of the parkShowing some history of the park
Showing some history of the park

In the early years of the park, visitors didn't seem to realize that feeding bears created bears that associated humans with food. Eventually, the park developed strict guidelines about feeding animals in the park following some lethal encounters.
Tourist feeding bear grapes, early on during the park's historyTourist feeding bear grapes, early on during the park's history
Tourist feeding bear grapes, early on during the park's history

We know better now. Don't feed the bears, for the safety of the bears and others around. Once a bear becomes too friendly with humans = a fatal or life changing end to the bears freedom.
Bears and MedicineBears and Medicine
Bears and Medicine

If you spend the time looking at the exhibits, this one will maybe surprise you. It did me. I felt it left the visitor thinking they have heard the whole story about the importance of bile extracted from the bear gallbladder, for example, are helping humans avoid gallbladder surgery. See next picture and comments.
Bear Gallstone Bile...Bear Gallstone Bile...
Bear Gallstone Bile...

Well, the importance of the story here is that while it may be true that bile from bear gallbladders may be beneficial in modern and Chinese medicine: this exhibit lacks stressing that this same material is now made synthetically (man-made, without the need to harvest the bile from bears, which is no doubt painful for the bears and unnecessary). If one is interested, please do an internet search about what is happening with the Sun Bears in Asia to give an undeniable view into the suffering these animals are enduring for the sake of having their bile harvested.
Black Market BearsBlack Market Bears
Black Market Bears

The following few photos I have included, again courtesy of the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center, may be difficult to look at and to emotionally ponder their significance. However, I hope you will: as I feel strongly to not understand what is going on with the bears (and other wild animals worldwide: such as tigers and elephants) leaves us untouched. When we are "untouched"... unfortunately we do nothing. So please read on, it will only take a few minutes to become informed and hopefully more aware and heart-touched.
What is this? Bear Gallbladders drying on a coat hanger.What is this? Bear Gallbladders drying on a coat hanger.
What is this? Bear Gallbladders drying on a coat hanger.

What is important to realize is that this is going on in America, not just Asia as I had believed prior to seeing this exhibit. The American Black Bear is also in danger of poaching for the Chinese Medicine Trade.
Bear Paws are bringing high valueBear Paws are bringing high value
Bear Paws are bringing high value

Now the dates of these exhibits are already aged and the prices no doubt have been inflated since then. However, more important is the impact that the Chinese Medicine Trade has and is having on animals worldwide. Populations of numerous animal species will continue to dwindle and become on the verge of extinction if this practice continues as it has. I am not being melodramatic: sadly, it is just a fact. Please research for yourself what is going on with the "bush meat" trade for example, which there are an abundant of articles available over the internet.
Wolfs interactingWolfs interacting
Wolfs interacting

The complex relationships between wolfs are studied and observed at the Discovery Center. Photo courtesy of the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center
Wolfs now de-listed from the endangered species list...Wolfs now de-listed from the endangered species list...
Wolfs now de-listed from the endangered species list...

The story of the relationship between wolfs and humans in America is unfortunately not a good one for the wolfs. They were nearly killed to oblivion, then made a come back, but are now "delisted" once more= meaning they can be hunted and killed in Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho.
Wolf Pack RunningWolf Pack Running
Wolf Pack Running

Photo courtesy of the Discovery Center



7th May 2009

Route in Wyoming
We did take the upper route 14 West out of north of Sheridan. However, we didn't see the Sibley Lake campground (we do not think so anyway). I am including this entry as I think others would also like to know about it, and we will try to find it the next time we go! Thanks for the tip! :)

Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 13; qc: 58; dbt: 0.076s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb