Day 6- May 18, 2017- West Yellowstone,MT to Great Falls


Advertisement
Published: May 19th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Woke this morning at 5:30 AM to a dusting of overnight snow covering the RV. The 6 to 10 inches of snowfall predicted never materialized. The Grizzly RV campground in West Yellowstone, Montana is about 4 miles from the border of Wyoming and the west entrance to Yellowstone National Park. The campground was in a great location, given its proximity to Yellowstone. It was a cute little town and had sufficient restaurants and shopping for the necessities.. I attended to my chores of filling the water tank, dumping black/gray water, sliding in the room and disconnecting and stowing the electric hook up cord. A note, if I haven't mentioned it beforeā€¦ I made sure this time to drain the water hose connected to the spigot because it's stowed in the back of the RV subject to the air and temperatures so it can freeze. I won't bore you again with these details, just assume that every time I get up in the morning and we leave for the next location that I'm going through all of these chores. One last stop at the Grizzly office for a complementary cappuccino and we were on our way. The roads were slushy but otherwise OK, kept speed below limit for awhile. We had originally planned to head back into Yellowstone to see the parts we missed but due to fact that we had covered much of northerly route in the park on our tour yesterday and construction, we decided to head directly from West Yellowstone to Bozeman/Livingston which actually cut out about 50 miles off today's trip to Great Falls. About 175 miles north from Yellowstone, any traces of snow were gone and temp. had risen into 50s. The landscape heading north in this mountainous region of Montana is wonderful, varying from snow capped mountains on the distant horizon to flat ranges of cattle ranches. I had a few "endorphin" moments of the vast horizons and am thinking of relocating. We saw bighorn sheep romping on the mountain sides as we passed by and pronghorn antelope roaming the ranges. We didn't stop for lunch but ate sandwiches as we drove. We pushed on so we would arive at a reasonable hour and be able to relax a bit. We stopped at Wallmart for gas and a few provisions before heading to Dick's RV Park, arriving around 3:45pm. We cooked in tonight and finally got a chance to play cards with the crew we're traveling with.

Only a few pictures today as there were no stops. I added a few from Yellowstone that I wasn't able to upload yesterday.

We cross the Canadian border into Canada tomorrow as our destination is Banff, Alberta where we'll stay for tomorrow & Saturday.

Miles today--269...Total 1522


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb