Goats but no glaciers


Advertisement
Published: August 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

St.Mary's campgroundSt.Mary's campgroundSt.Mary's campground

Many campers were parked around the bend in the open brushy flat. We couldn't figure out why they didn't camp under the trees. It had been very hot the day before, the ranger said.
The ST. Mary's campground is huge and, as indicated on it's webpage, very seldom fills up. We really didn't care where we parked but actually got what we considered the prime spot. Lots of nice trees and brush, no nearby campers, no campfire smoke and easy walking distance to a toilet. Flush, no less. There were a few mosquitoes but we headed to bed soon after pulling in so we saw only the stars out the screened window.
We slept in clear til 7 the next morning but did want to beat the other tourists to the narrow road we knew awaited us the other side of the summit.
The trip through Glacier was relatively uneventful except for the noticeable lack of much of the glaciers we'd seen just seven years ago. The pictures tell the tale of the animals we saw. We drove quite steadily until we were past Kalispell. When we saw a nice wide shady spot, we pulled over around noon, had a little dinner and took a good nap.
We expected to find lots of Flathead cherries along the Flathead lake but instead found the orchards along the west side have pretty well been replaced with housing
First pulloutFirst pulloutFirst pullout

Triple Divide peak, where the water goes in three directions, they say. What a view.
developments. There was lots of road construction and way too much traffic.
We pulled into Missoula shortly before 5, fought their traffic across town and pulled into the driveway of Craig and Sherri's around 5:30. It was hot but we popped the top and took a nap anyway. We aren't fussy when we are tired. Sherri and Craig pulled in a little after 6 and guess what------she had Flathead cherries. Did we make short work of them.
Craig grilled veggies on the deck and we stayed up way too late talking. I do believe it was clear after 10 PM when we went to bed. It had been a big day and the bed felt good.




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Unusual deerUnusual deer
Unusual deer

This is an unusually long legged deer!! At least it doesn't look like neither our Wyoming mule nor whitetail. Might this be a hybrid? It was all by itself and was very curious of us.
goatgoat
goat

All the cars in front of us pulled off to see the glaciers at the summit. We continued around the bend and there was a family grouping.
GlacierGlacier
Glacier

We always pull over and let others pass us so we can go our own speed. Amazing how little is gained by trying to speed on these winding roads,especially when a glacier puts rocks on the road.
The rest of the familyThe rest of the family
The rest of the family

They were pawing dust over themselves as though they were lousy. We watched them for quite a while til some other cars came up behind.
Ice caveIce cave
Ice cave

Lots of melting snow all over.
Rock wall??Rock wall??
Rock wall??

Look up the story on the Glacier website as to how they built this Going To The Sun Road back in the '30s or so. I forgot the details.
Not much room for errorNot much room for error
Not much room for error

You could tell the folks who had never driven such a narrow steep road.
some kind of varmintsome kind of varmint
some kind of varmint

Maybe this is what is called a pika but then maybe not. Anyway, it eats peanuts.


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb