Glacier National Park -Day 2


Advertisement
Published: August 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After a night of gasping for fresh air through our thick fly screen, we awoke to hear the sound of pouring rain so our early start was slightly delayed for a small sleep in. Today our plan was to hike up to Iceberg Lake. This trail had only opened the day before after being closed due to numerous sighted bears.

After a quick breakfast the weather looked like it was turning for the better. We headed off through very dense forest with the lovely smell of fresh rain on pine. There were plenty of people on the track jingling bells and making noise, so we were not at all concerned about bumping into Yogi or BooBoo. There was not as much wildlife on this walk as yesterdays but we did bump into a timid coyote that had been following another group for half an hour always trying to hide just out of sight. The wildflowers were much more abundant. The scenery once again was unforgettable.
But the gem in this walk was saved until last.

Tucked away high up in the mountains the trail opened up onto an amazing blue lake with many huge floating icebergs. This was surrounded by a sheer wall of granite where snow and chunks of ice desperately clung. To get away from others we decided to walk around the lake which meant crossing several small shoots of snow and ice. Feet were carefully placed as a reward for slipping here was a slide into the coldest water we have ever felt, hence the name.

Sitting next to the pristine icy lake and watching amazing cloud formations rolling over the granite face above us, we were in no hurry to leave. A large tour group we had passed down the track were not far off and we had plenty more of Glacier National Park to see, so we were soon back tracked down the path taking in the views from the other direction.

Possibly one of the nicest drives in North America cuts right through Glacier National Park.
The Sun Road, as it's known, took some 30 years to build and is definitely not a drive you could forget. The road clings to the side of the mountain with some steep drops, creating a hard decision for any driver, torn between eyes on the road, or eyes everywhere else but.

At the top of the Sun Road, you pass through Logan Pass. This is a very popular tourist spot in the park so the 3 mile hike is very well maintained with boardwalks most of the way. Being at some height there was still a number of snow patches that buried the boardwalks in which many people were resting and entertaining themselves with the odd snow fight or photo opportunity. At the end of the 3 mile walk it was not hard to see why this was the most popular place we had seen in the park. The view looking down on Hidden Lake was very special. Here you have it all. Snow capped mountain peaks, rolling meadows, forests and glimmering lakes. The wildlife seemed to have known that they had found somewhere special and obviously thrive on fame as mountain goats, mountain sheep and marmots all pose for the paparazzi.

Back in the car, we then followed the Sun Road out of the park to a really funky little town called Whitefish where we would be staying the night. Sarah and Joe had organized a lovely spacious room and told us they were taking us out to a fantastic restaurant
Dont SlideDont SlideDont Slide

Fear is in these eyes....
down town. Leannes Aussie birthday had begun and there's nothing better than fine food (Matt had the most amazing Elk) and fabulous wine to celebrate.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Hidden LakeHidden Lake
Hidden Lake

In its full Glory
MennoniteMennonite
Mennonite

Remember please dont feed the wildlife...


Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0607s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb