Out of the mountains, into the hills


Advertisement
Published: July 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Mountain TarnMountain TarnMountain Tarn

Anybody for a swim?
Great sleep last night.
Yet another nice sunny day.
Got away at a reasonable time as didn't want to be too late and start running into the day visitors.
It was supprisingly quiet out on the road, a pleasant supprise.
made the best of it for some photo shoots along the way, it was good being able to just stop where I wanted (within reason) and not have to worry about other traffic.
One thing that was quite noticable about galcier national Park was the absence of much in the way of glaciers.
There are a few small ones but nothing to get excited about.
The NPS expect that the remaining ones won't last many more years either.
Maybe they should rename it "formed by glaciers national Park"?
Either way it is still a beautiful place and over the other side of the divide it is as every bit as good.
The road itself gets narrower and more pacarious as it has been chisiled into the rock faces of the valleys.
Just about the most common vehicle on the road at the early hour was the touring cyclists as from 11am to about 16:00hrs a large part of the road is
More MountainsMore MountainsMore Mountains

Can't say its boring around here
closed to them as it is so narrow.
I took my time covering the rest of the park road taking in as much as I could before I got to the other side.
Even though i crossed the park on the main road across it from east to west the park lies in predominately a north south direction.
Part of it is in Canada, knowen as the Waterman NP, so there is still a vast amount of it that I never got to see, and most people don't.
Another place that needs alot more time spent in it that i could give it.
After my very leisurly depature from the park I made my way through Kilaspell and headed off west on highway 2.
The whole countryside here is beautiful.
Pine covered hills intersperced with farms and lakes that just go on and on.
The pine forests here are very different to the ones at home which are mostly orderly planted commercial forests.
Here it is different types of pine and fir trees growing naturally and the trees are smaller than what we see at home.
There is also more wild life, deer on the road (I missed it), drivers
Lake reflectionLake reflectionLake reflection

Just like walmart 2 for the price of one
of people movers here are as useless at driving as anywhere else in the world (just missed that too).
I have splurged on the luxury of a cheep hotel in Libby so that I can get everything charged up, scrubbed up etc before venturing into the wilds of the skinny top bit of idaho tomorrow, then into Washington, both of which I'm sure will be completely different to Montana.
Maybe.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Hill country farmHill country farm
Hill country farm

Many like this through here


Tot: 0.203s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0924s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb