Glacier National Park


Advertisement
Published: August 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We spent the last few days travelling across Washington State, the tip of Idaho and East into Montana, staying with extremely gracious and hospitable relatives along the way (Thank you!). The highlight of the scenery for us was undoubtedly Glacier National Park, with spectacular views of the Rocky Mountains and ice clear rivers and streams formed by ancient glaciers. Unfortunately some of the views were a bit hazy, due to smoke from local forest fires. The road through Glacier is pretty spectacular, and very popular with bikers. Along the route you can see where wild fires have whipped through parts of the forest, the trees being slowly replaced by wildflowers and other flora. Out of the park and on the road East towards Cut Bank, the smoke from the wild fires was clearly visible, and gave an eerie orange glow to the sky. Wild fires are common at this time of year throughout this area; while we were in Washington a local newspaper reported fires covering 95,000 acres. It’s amazing to think that many of the fire fighters are community volunteers - you certainly have to admire them.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Glacier ParkGlacier Park
Glacier Park

"Big Foot woz 'ere"


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb