Alley Spring and Mill


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Missouri » Eminence
September 3rd 2006
Published: October 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Alley Spring and Mill is a few miles west of Eminence, Missouri on State Route 106. It is maintained by the National Park Service and is a part of the Ozark National Scenic Riverways.

http://www.nps.gov/ozar/historyculture/alley-mill.htm

Alley Spring has long been a favorite day-trip destination for me and this visit was no exception. Being a holiday weekend there was a pretty good crowd. The upside to that is that the mill, the one-room Storey's Creek Schoolhouse, and the period general store were all open to the public. All of these are must see for history buffs.

For those who enjoy a little exercise there are two good trails around Alley Spring. The lower trail is short and mainly level. THe longer one winds around the ridge behind the spring and offers a spectacular view of the river valley. Don't forget your camera.

Finding a good place to eat is a dicey proposition in the more remote areas of the Ozarks but one that I can gladly recommend is Winfield's in Eminence. Winfield's is a restored soda fountain dating from the 1920's. I had the Saint Louis style pizza, which was very good, but the more traditional food looked awfully good too.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1.1mb