Dallas, TX to Jackson, MS


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Mississippi » Jackson
April 28th 2010
Published: April 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Tital mileage: 2,150
Texas: Dallass, Terrell, Mineola, Longview, Marshall
Louisiana: Greenwood, Shreveport, Minden, Arcadia, Ruston, Monroe, Rayville, Tallulah
Mississippi: Vicksburg, Jackson

Today's drive was entirely Highway 80. We got a little later start than normal and took our time, ate breakfast with Jake and Lauren, and hit the road by 11:30. It was great driving through the old towns and seeing the historic buildings. Many of them have significance during the Civil War, and prior. Arcadia, LA even claims Bonnie and Clyde were found dead in their area, and the local funeral home embalmed their bodies before sending them to their hometowns for burial. We also by chance realized that we were passing through Tim McGraw's hometown: Start, LA.

Unfortunately, our late start caught up with us and we ran out of daylight. Old Highway 80 at the edge of Mississippi was closed, and with the dark, we didn't try to explore why. It may have been because of the tornadoes. We decided it wouldn't do any good to continue navigating on Old 80 without daylight, so we hopped on I-20 and hightailed it into Jackson to check into our hotel. We may back track in the morning so we can see the antebellum homes of Vicksburg and Natchez.

We are staying at the Old Capitol Inn in downtown Jackson, MS right near the government buildings. The buildings are beautiful and so is the hotel! Our room is kind of like a reverse loft, with a sitting area by the door, and the bedroom and huge bathroom downstairs. It's gorgeous!

Well, calling it a night for now. Pictures to come later. We'll be racing the clock and plan to be in Columbus tomorrow in time for Thirsty Thursday (Nick will send the customary text)!





Advertisement



Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb