Day 3--A House Arises!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Mississippi » Biloxi
September 24th 2008
Published: September 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Wow--what a day! I can't even begin to describe how it felt to watch the walls literally go up around us. OK--we were responsible for those walls going up, but it really is incredible what 16 people--our 12 teammates, three Habitat folks and one soon-to-be homeowner--can accomplish in a single day.

We started our day by finished nailing down the floor to the floor joists, which took a couple of hours at best. It was kinda cool because there literally were a few instances when it seemed the hammers were all moving in unison--hitting the nail at the exact same moment. It couldn't have been planned to work that way. While blisters threatened to slow some down, a few of our teammates devised a way to get through that, too--one started the nail and the other finished it, moving very quickly down the rows that needed to be done. More than a few nails went flying through the air, too, as they "slipped" out of the hand from under the hammer. Everyone was wearing their protective eye gear!!

But what happened in the hours that followed was even more incredible as we first put up the framework for all the outside walls. While most of them were prefab, we also learned how to build the few we needed to. We all can now say we've built a wall! Just prior to putting up the last outside wall, we moved all the inside walls into the house and started putting them up. As the end of our day neared, the intensity seemed to explode as everyone worked together to get ALL the inside walls up. So when we walked away from the build site at 4 p.m., it was with a huge sense of accomplishment. As someone on the team said later, it went from a dance floor to a home. We began to imagine a family living there and moving room to room. There aren't words that can describe the feeling.

After our work day, we headed over to Camp Victor in Ocean Springs for southern dinner prepared by Thrivent Financial Representative Terry King with the help of Thrivent Financial Partner Dave Mietzner and a few of Terry's friends. It was an awesome meal of chicken and sausage gumbo, crawfish cheesecake and salad. The bread pudding for dessert was out of this world--thanks to Terry's wife!! We so appreciated the evening out with Terry and Dave--and their southern hospitality.

Tonight's team devotion was on calling. We are all excited to have accepted this call--and to see the work that God is doing through us, despite of our limited talents! Oh, and tomorrow is another day!




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Tom's third helping!Tom's third helping!
Tom's third helping!

Tom (right) enjoys a third helping of gumbo, prepared by Terry (left).
After dinner photo op!After dinner photo op!
After dinner photo op!

The Biloxi Team poses for a photo at Camp Victor with Partner Dave Mietzner and FR Terry King.


25th September 2008

You guys are amazing!
Way to go Team Biloxi! Looks like you are making us proud. Glad to see everything is going so well. God bless you all as you continue to do His work in the Gulf.

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1021.1kb