Day 8 Mon May 6/13 Grand Rapids MN 3298 kms


Advertisement
Published: May 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Today was probably our most relaxing day on the bikes, even though we rode for almost 500 kms. On the road at 9:30 am from Devil's Lake ND en route to Grand Rapids, MN. It was a beautiful clear day, with sunshine forecast for the day We made not one but two stops into WallyWorld in search of green food for a picnic lunch. Found it at the second superstore. No grocery stores on the route. I'm getting alot of vibration on the bike, especially at the higher speeds, and desperately needed to improvise the gloves to give my hands a break, so bought some shoe heel gels and shoved them into my palms. Ahhh, relief. Could actually feel my fingers at the end of the day.

Got a much warmer, fuzzier feeling riding through Minnesota. First town we crossed through was Grand Forks, MN, and were detoured temporarily due to roads being flooded out. Stopped at Oak Lake for lunch break, had refreshing salad and apples, and sat overlooking yet another frozen lake. Parks guy advised Spring is just not happening! And that we should expect colder and snow as we travel further east.

Had our first viewing of the world's "Largest": Babe, the Ox, during a rest stop in Bemidji MN. This is the land of Paul Bunyon. Who is/was he/it? I have no idea, but Ian says he's big. Oh, and he is. See pics. I will have to google him now. We rode along Paul Bunyon Highway, past many Paul Bunyon souvenir shops and hair salons. To our left was frozen Lake Bemidji, through which the Mississippi River flows. I guess this is where we say farewell to Lewis and Clark. Met a 75 year old couple from the area on our stop, who said they didn't ride their Harley at all last summer because it was too hot, and haven't ridden it this year because their property is still a mud bath from flooding, freezing and thawing and they can't get the bike out. Global warming?????

The landscape changed in MN from the flat brown in ND to rolling hills, with trees, and of course 10,000 lakes. Frozen lakes everywhere you look. Downed trees everywhere you look. Hardly any wildlife though. Saw a couple of deer off the highway, and a woodpecker at the rest stop, but that's it. Again, I'm so happy we chose to ride Route 2.

Stopped for the night in Grand Rapids, MN, at a Super 8 where the front desk clerk insisted we park the bikes at the front door where they could keep an eye on them overnight. Very hospitable staff.

We are completely done at the end of the day. Even though we are only riding 500 kms, we were on the road from 9:30 until 5:30 pm, outside, in the fresh air, on the bike off the bike on the bike. Everything takes so much longer, and I think Ian is going to blog about that tomorrow.

Our plates are starting to get noticed now and more people are chatting with us. Most know where Victoria BC is. That's promising!

Someone asked us how we managed to get all our gear into the few bags that we have. Here is a list of our stuff:

1 tent, 2 compact sleepings pads and bags, 1 compact campstove, 2 mugs, two sporks, 8 packs dehydrated food.

Each: 2 long sleeved shirts, 3 tees, 1 shorts, 1 jeans, 4 uw, 4 socks, swimsuit, cap, 1 running shorts, 1 running shell, 1 fleece, runners, tevas. Plus kevlar jeans, bike jacket, heated bike vest, gloves, riding boots.

First Aid Kit, assorted charging cables for IPad, camera, phone, helmet headsets. 4 water bottles.

IPad. GPS x 2. Tire repair kit. Tire pump. Tool Kit.

Toiletries. Jar of Grace's Plum Chutney for someone in St. John's.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0819s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb