Duluth, Mn Highway 61 Scenic Roadway


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Minnesota » Duluth
July 12th 2010
Published: July 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

If you want to take a fantastic sight-seeing trip and don’t mind scenic, meandering highways with water on your right the whole trip, might I suggest you take a drive up Highway 61 from Duluth, Minnesota. You can drive from there all the way to Canada and bask in the beauty of Lake Superior.
We made a stop in Grand Marias, a quaint little town with people hoarding in front of the local Dairy Queen. Visited a lighthouse and even walked out on an Army Corps of Engineers concrete bridge stretching out on the waters of the lake.
Already having our passports in hand, we decided to ride on up to Canada. We crossed the border into Ontario without a hitch and headed to Thunder Bay, Ontario. We hit a local mall there and ordered some pizza. I noticed right off that the money went a little farther there. The gas was supposed to be expensive there so I opted to fill up before crossing the border, you might want to do the same! Thunder Bay was a good sized city with some mountains and right on the bay of Lake Superior. Our stay there was brief but there were several things to do there, like going out on the longest suspended bridge in Ontario.
On the way back, Gooseberry Falls was a stop we made. The path was clean and safe and not too far. The falls were beautiful and flowing about thirty feet wide, with the water coming down on kids playing and all kinds of people alike. We even saw a young couple who had walked down below and made a day of sitting on the flat rocks and taking in some sun.
While in Duluth, we went to the beach and lay out in the sun. The views of the city from here are great. The average temperature of Lake Superior is 40 degrees, that is pretty cold, but it sure it beautiful!

I highly recommend this trip. We flew into Minneapolis/St. Paul and rented a car and drove up to Duluth and from there hit Highway 61. I can see why this road trip is voted in the top ten drives in America. Not even at the beaches of Florida/Alabama did I see this much beauty wrapped around old, peaceful towns.







Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0655s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb