Bill and Frances arrive in Traverse Bay, Michigan


Advertisement
Published: July 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

 What a beautiful place ! What a beautiful place ! What a beautiful place !

Traverse Bay RV Park
Well, they are here safe and sound ! Off to collect the fishing equipment and licenses and hunt for the big ones! Our first fishing experience was on Lake Skegemog here in Traverse City. It is a beautiful lake with lots of large bass and the mayflies were hatching so the fish were biting and taking our lures. Bill landed several big ones, but Patti wasn't that fortunate. Just a few little ones.

We went out on a bass boat with our neighbor Jerry and he caught all the big ones! He has been fishing this area for many years and has his special hide-a-way here at Lake Skegemog. Now, this guy knows how to fish for bass! He has every lure, worm, hook and weight known to mankind and he knows exactly how to use them.

Bill Maxey and Bill Kennedy took the float boats (pontoons) out for an adventure on a 7 hour drift and fishing trip. Patti and Frances dropped them off and then parked their vehicle at the pick up point so it would be there when they arrived 7 hours later. Lunch and drinks and fishing gear in hand, off they went down the
 Our home for two months Our home for two months Our home for two months

This was home for Bill and Frances for two months during their visit.
river !

Let's just say that the river was way too narrow and swift for good fishing and rowing the boat takes a little experience. Bill Kennedy said "That's one more thing I can cross off my bucket list" and I'm not so sure I'd like to do it again. Yes, Bill, it does take a time or two to get used to the rowing part. Drifting, fishing and rowing takes at least 4 hands and it is very difficult to do all at once ! It was a frustrating day on the river but they did catch a few fish! I don't think rowing is his thing !!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

 The drift on the Manistee River The drift on the Manistee River
The drift on the Manistee River

It was a hot sticky day, a narrow river, and one person who had never rowed a boat before.........to say he had his hands full is quite an understatement !
The Manistee RiverThe Manistee River
The Manistee River

And they are off ........well............kind of............ If you have never rowed a boat before, it is just the opposite of what one might think, to go forward, push backwards, to go backwards, push forward..........it takes a little getting used to the first time out !
 Now What did they say? Now What did they say?
Now What did they say?

Backwards to go forwards and forwards to go backwards....................something like that...........this is not as easy as one might think !
 5 lb. Bass at Lake Skegemog 5 lb. Bass at Lake Skegemog
5 lb. Bass at Lake Skegemog

Bill caught most of the fish on our float. He loved it !


Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0671s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb