Yoopy - Pictured Rocks


Advertisement
Published: July 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Miner's CastleMiner's CastleMiner's Castle

Pictured Rocks Natl Lakeshore, MI. The color in the rocks is the source of the name "Pictured Rocks."
We left Michigamme Shores after a fairly leisurely morning. It rained last night and we were hoping the camper would dry. It did, but the carpet didn't and my stove was full of water after being left outside.
From Champion through Ishpeming and then Marquette, along the south shore of Lake Superior we drove, to Munising where we found the Visitor Center for Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. Pictured Rocks is a park that is best viewed from a boat, but there are overlooks, waterfalls and beaches. We started with Munising Falls, Sand Point, and Miner's Castle on the west side. Then we drove down around to the east side where we stopped at Sable Falls, the Log Slide Overlook with its views of the Grand Sable Dunes (500' high) and the Au Sable Lighthouse, then down to Hurricane River, where we walked a ways down Twelvemile Beach. A lovely park, and we did see a shipwreck just offshore of Twelvemile Beach, that was almost totally underwater, but with clear enough water that we could see it.
Tonight we're outside of Newberry, MI, being held captive in our camper by swarms of mosquitoes and blackflies.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Munising FallsMunising Falls
Munising Falls

Pictured Rocks NL, MI
Sable FallsSable Falls
Sable Falls

Pictured Rocks NL, MI
Grand Sable DunesGrand Sable Dunes
Grand Sable Dunes

Pictured Rocks NL, MI
Au Sable LightAu Sable Light
Au Sable Light

Pictured Rocks NL, MI
Twelvemile BeachTwelvemile Beach
Twelvemile Beach

Pictured Rocks NL, MI


17th July 2008

With all the little aggrevations, you are still seeing some beautiful country! Are you gettin close to wanting to come home?????
17th July 2008

got to love the water!!! beautiful photos.
19th July 2008

Hummm
I am so jealous - what beautiful scenery and I miss the water so much - how I wish I was there with you guys!!

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb