Up North in September


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Michigan » Menominee
September 23rd 2013
Published: September 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Where the action isWhere the action isWhere the action is

Quite a crowd gathered on the Lake Street bridge over looking the Bear River.
Traverse City, Petoskey, Manistique, and Menominee have been our locations for several weeks of camping in the northern lower peninsula and the UP. Biking, kayaking, visiting with friends and ex-athletes that I coached, and attending two weddings have consumed most of our time. Vibrant color is everywhere. The Menominee River is a great place to kayak. We can comfortably paddle upstream and then enjoy the float on the return.

I love the old cities up here, so many have lumbering tied to their history. Wide streets and alleys are common factors in the old parts of these towns.

Salmon are running right now and fishermen are everywhere on the rivers. We've stopped and watch several in action. Big powerful fish are the prize. The fillets are huge.

Got out on the Menominee River real early this morning. The water was like glass. A low fog bank sat on top of the surface. I was accompanied by loons, wood ducks, and a lone Heron. What a perfect way to start the day.

One of our favorite things to do while traveling is check out public libraries of the various towns we stay near. The Spies public library in
UpstreamUpstreamUpstream

Only a few anglers were down below the bridge.
Menominee might just be of the one the the best we've been in. It has been significantly remodeled but the old charm has been kept. Expanded views overlooking the marina and Lake Michigan are wonderful.

Check out more photos below


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Wine TastingWine Tasting
Wine Tasting

We stopped at the Mackinaw Trail Winery in Manistique. Cindy is trying various fruit wines to take to our local festival in Arizona.
The solitary happy fishermanThe solitary happy fisherman
The solitary happy fisherman

Staying at the Driftwood Shores campground in Manistique we watched a salmon fisherman wading in the bay.
Kayaking the MenomineeKayaking the Menominee
Kayaking the Menominee

A late afternoon paddle headed upstream.
Getting close but not to close Getting close but not to close
Getting close but not to close

This Heron obviously thought we were interrupting its hunting.
Early morning on the riverEarly morning on the river
Early morning on the river

I love the mornings. Today was fantastic. Colors starting to show, smooth water, light fog, what a setting to kayak.


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb