Those Hazy Lazy Days of Summer


Advertisement
Published: June 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Kent Base Ball ClubKent Base Ball ClubKent Base Ball Club

The Grand Rapids Base Ball Club of the 1860s
Sorry about the delay in journaling. Only three weeks remain, and we are off to Poland. Time passes so quickly. I have been busy purchasing items for my trip, as well as cleaning the house in preparation for my friend who will be staying with the "kids" while I am away. Summer is in full bloom and so are the many activities that take place in the park across the street. This past weekend the Kent Base Ball Club hosted their annual Silas K. Pierce Cup Tournament. This is not the "baseball" we are familiar with today. This "base ball" is the base ball of the 1860s: no gloves; no metal bats; no overhand pitches; no balls or strikes; only one umpire; and best of all, no player salaries! In my opinion, the professional sports of today are all about money. As a consequence, I will not watch professional sports on television or in person. Athletes should play for the love of the game not the huge purses for which they bargain.

I have posted several photos of "America's True Past Time". If you ever get an opportunity to watch base ball in its purest form, I highly recommend
Bay City Independents v. Akron Black SocksBay City Independents v. Akron Black SocksBay City Independents v. Akron Black Socks

A gentlemanly meeting begins and ends the match.
that you do. I guarantee you will love it. You will be pleasantly surprised by the outstanding sportsmanship you see. The number one rule for this base ball is "All matches are to be played with the highest respect for the opponent, courtesy, and above all - gentlemanly behavior."


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

The UmpireThe Umpire
The Umpire

The "ump" explains the rules and makes the necessary anouncements.
Akron PitcherAkron Pitcher
Akron Pitcher

An good underhand pitch is the name of the game.
Akron FieldersAkron Fielders
Akron Fielders

With no gloves, each player must be ready to field the "line drive".
Bay City PitcherBay City Pitcher
Bay City Pitcher

Striker to the line!
Bay City FielderBay City Fielder
Bay City Fielder

Now that's a ballist!
The Umpire's PlaceThe Umpire's Place
The Umpire's Place

The umpire remains behind home base and slightly off to one side. He is only appealed to for a judgement call.
A Lusty CheerA Lusty Cheer
A Lusty Cheer

Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb