Michigan's Little Bavaria


Advertisement
Published: July 8th 2014
Edit Blog Post

The city's name is a combination of two words. "Franken" represents the Province of Franconia in the Kingdom of Bavaria, home of the Franks, where the original settlers were from. The German word "Mut" means courage; thus, the name Frankenmuth means "courage of the Franconians." The area was settled and named in 1845 by conservative Lutheran immigrants from the Roßtal area of Franconia (now part of Bavaria) in Germany. The group of settlers left Germany on April 20, 1845. Frankenmuth is known as Little Bavaria and the evidence of their ancestors can be found everywhere you look.
An interesting and little known fact about Frankenmuth is in 1996, Lord Mayor Christian Ude of Germany officially sanctioned the Frankenmuth Octoberfest celebration, making it the only city outside of Munich to receive such an honor.
The most popular and charming attraction is the Bavarian Inn Glockenspiel clock tower. Bavarian Inn's 50 foot Glockenspiel Tower houses a 35-bell carillon, figurine movement and an illuminated clock, all imported from Germany. The Figures are 4-1/2 feet tall and depict the legend of the Pied Piper of Hameln. Movement occurs at Noon, 3, 6 and 9 pm.
There is a cute shopping village as you enter the town. Spend some time strolling around the shops or purchase a ticket for the Bavarian Belle paddleboat. The Belle offers an hour long narrated ride featuring historic facts about the area, covered bridge etc. You will also find Bronner's CHRISTmas wonderland. Bronner's claims to be the worlds largest Christmas store.
Across the river is the Bavarian Inn. You can spend hours there. They have wonderful food (if you like German), a small shopping village is located in their basement, and sign up to make pretzels while learning of their historic christian symbolism. The before mentioned clock tower is located on one of their outer walls along with horse drawn carriages waiting for families or couples to pile in for a ride.
If you've ever been to Frankenmuth you know there is a much talked about debate on "the" place to eat. Bavarian Inn vs Zehnder's. Jesse and I have tried both and we agree Bavarian Inn wins hands down. Their potato puffs alone can win the fight. YUM!!!! After trying both I'm not sure why this is not the obvious winner.
Frankenmuth is a great place to spend a Saturday or the whole weekend with your family. Grab some good food, pick up something new for your tree and take a ride by horse or boat. You won't regret it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0164s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb