September in New England


Advertisement
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Essex
September 17th 2006
Published: September 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

August 21 - September 12, 2006 St. Peter’s, Nova Scotia - Chebacco Lake, Essex, Mass. 18,351 miles to date 1,942 miles this leg Ah, September, this rarest and most treasured of months. When we were planning for this trip, friends and relatives across the country urged us to visit them in September. “It won’t be too hot or too cold, and the leaves will be starting to turn,” was the gist o... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 52, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Seal of MaineSeal of Maine
Seal of Maine

A sailor figure from the original carved seal of Maine, on display at the Penobscot Maritime Museum...
Tom in BrooklinTom in Brooklin
Tom in Brooklin

...and striking a similar pose, Tom Jackson, associate editor of WoodenBoat Magazine. We stopped by WoodenBoat headquarters in Brooklin, Me., to meet the editor Shelly has been working with and to get a tour of the magazine, school, store and waterfront.
Shelly and WBShelly and WB
Shelly and WB

Here's Shelly with a hot-of-the-presses copy of the lastest WoodenBoat issue, in which her piece on Biloxi boatbuilder Bill Holland was published in the Currents department.
Shelly in Wee 3Shelly in Wee 3
Shelly in Wee 3

Tom pulled some strings and got us out in one of the WoodenBoat fleet: a Herreshoff 12-1/2 named Wee 3. The two of us spent a happy hour sailing the waterfront before putting Wee 3 back to bed on her mooring.
Hosts in HopeHosts in Hope
Hosts in Hope

In Hope, Me., we stayed with Shelly's college classmate Jeannine and her husband Justin. Their cockapoo, Ballantine, joined us on a misty hike up Ragged Mountain.
Belfast HarborBelfast Harbor
Belfast Harbor

Jeannine and Justin's sloop, Houqua, at her mooring in nearby Belfast Harbor (indicated by red circle). We were invited to join them for the first day of a week-long cruise, but the weather didn't cooperate, so we didn't go.
Indian Island LightIndian Island Light
Indian Island Light

Instead we went kayaking in Rockport Harbor and rounded Indian Island Light. Thanks to Justin for this photo of Shelly.
Justin in KayakJustin in Kayak
Justin in Kayak

Here's Justin in his kayak in the lee of Indian Island, where we rafted up for a snack and to watch the loons.
Rockweed in RockportRockweed in Rockport
Rockweed in Rockport

Rafts of rockweed photographed through a polarized filter.
In the RiggingIn the Rigging
In the Rigging

A crewmember in the rigging of the schooner Heron, berthed in Rockport Harbor.



18th September 2006

Lovin' It!
I am traveling with you! Enjoying every word and picture! They are fantastic. Look forward to 'fall color' photos from Mass to NY! Take care and we miss you. Nancy
18th September 2006

Ye Olde Stomping Grounds!
Oh boy, now you are stirring the old pot of New England memories...having gone to school in Amherst; lived in Rockport right near those rafts of rockweed; hung around Woodenboat Magazine in its earliest days; visits to family farm in Vermont; visits to my daughter (Coyote) over her years at Smith; commune life in the woods of New Hampshire starting in the late 60's....and on and on down memory lane your blog has taken me!
24th September 2006

Glad to have met you two!
We so enjoyed having you stay with us for those two days, and are very greatful to have met you both. Emma still asks about you now and then. Maybe our paths will cross again someday. We will continue to follow your journey with the good feelings that we were a small part of it. Safe travels!

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0343s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb