Getting around - Gettysburg, Maryland and Pennsylvania


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maryland » Emmitsburg
October 23rd 2013
Published: October 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday 22ndOctober 2013

Washington DC – Pennsylvania

Fine and overcast – 15c

We disconnected our home and departed Cherry Hill about 9am, bound for Gettysburg National Military Park Museum in Maryland. En route we happened to notice a sign leading to the Fallen Firefighter’s Memorial in a small town called Emmitsburg. The National Emergency Management training facility is here. After passing security and leaving our IDs at the main gate they allowed us in, visitors passes attached. There are two memorials – one commemorating all the US firefighters who died on duty between the years 1981 and the present. It was opened by Ronald Reagan. A brass plaque for each year is placed around a taller monument with an eternal flame. All names and States are listed on the plaque which is placed on a stone plinth. The brick pathway leading to the memorial has the names ordered by State and the names are engraved into the bricks. There were three flags flying at half-mast to pay respects for three men who died last week! The second site close by is specifically dedicated to those who lost their lives on 9/11 and was a massive bronze statue of that famous image - the three firefighters who raised the flag above ground zero after that dreadful event. This flag remains at full mast. The sculpture was crafted by artist Stan Watts. Taking all this in is a sober reminder of what a dangerous profession emergency service work truly is. We looked around and paid our respects for about half an hour and then hit the road for Gettysburg. We arrived at the Gettysburg National Military Park Museum and Visitor Centre just in time to attend the 12.00pm screening of the history and events leading up to and including the Battle of Gettysburg. We then viewed the Battle of Gettysburg cyclorama created in 1884 (the largest oil on canvas painting in North America), which encircles you in a huge room. Finishing off the experience, we spent some time wandering through the museum featuring nearly 1,200 artifacts from the battle. This gave us the opportunity to gain an insight and understanding into the complexities and bravery behind the events of the Civil War. This year the National Park Service is commemorating the 150th anniversary of President Lincoln's Gettysburg Address. We finally left there at about 1.30pm after a very impressive time there. We could have spent half a day easily covering off all the wonderful exhibits and visiting the actual sites around this historic place. Our intention after this stop was to head towards Hershey to see the chocolate, buy the chocolate and eat the chocolate – but this will wait for the next trip as another “to-do” for today is to see Amish people around Lancaster County. So off we went and found ourselves driving through amazing scenic winding roads. We came upon the town Bird-in-Hand and drove through to the next town – Intercourse! Yes, a very interesting town name. Also around the area are other unusual names such as Paradise, Blue Ball and Virginville. We spied a few Amish in their horse and carriages and also saw a few serving in the Kitchen Kettle Village, the Intercourse Canning Company and the Stoltzfus Meats and Deli. Whilst strolling the village we purchased some locally made cheeses, garlic sausage, apple pastry, Dutch chocolate fudge, salsa, baby beets, dill flavoured mushrooms; and Jen tried some hot apple cider. It wasn’t hard to avoid the shoofly pie and scrapple – yuk! There are a number of Amish farms that welcome visitors to stay and observe their way of life. We don’t have time for that this time around so on our way we go with some delicious provisions. As day turns into twilight we have a bit of a drive ahead into Quakertown where we aim for an RV Park. On arrival we realise that it is operating under winter hours now and had shut the office at 5pm, so off we go another 30 minutes north to the next park. When we rang to check if it was open we were told to just tap on Nancy’s door to get set up. Nancy is in # 5 and lives in her trailer on-site permanently. As we approach Quaker Woods Campground on Rosedale Road we realise we really are in the woods, with majestic trees towering above. We find Nancy through the haze of the cigarette smoke and are advised it will be $37 for the night. Sampling some of our newly purchased goodies for dinner and planning our route for tomorrow completed our busy day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Cyclorama from 1844Cyclorama from 1844
Cyclorama from 1844

A small portion of the battle scene painting that fully encircles you.
Fallen Firefighter MemorialFallen Firefighter Memorial
Fallen Firefighter Memorial

Note all the bricks name the fallen firefighters


Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb