The Adventure Begins!!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maryland » Baltimore
February 19th 2008
Published: February 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sticks and StonesSticks and StonesSticks and Stones

This is me and my friend Sarah working in Philadelphia. We decided to stop for a pic!
Hello Everybody!!


Sorry about such the delay of blog entries!! We have just been so busy that making it to the computer lab has been quite the obstacle!! Sooooo, we have been a little more active since the last entry I wrote! We have spent a few afternoons in Philadelphia working on the landscaping of an old Historical Mansion. We've had the chance to visit the historical downtown were we observed the LOVE park, the Rocky Steps, (Art Museum), and the Liberty Bell. It was a great time, but we definitely reserved a portion of our day to chow down some Cheesesteaks!! And yes they were very delicious!!

Our initial visit to the site was on the 7th of February, but we actually decided we wanted to return to do more service, so on Saturday morning, February 16th at 5:00am, we loaded up our vans and headed back to Philadelphia. This time we got two eight hour days of cutting weeds, hauling buckets of dirt and mulch, and clearing envasive species. It was very difficult and quite tedious at times, but we got to stay in the Chamounix Mansion, which is now an International Hostel, for the evening.
CHEESESTEAKS!CHEESESTEAKS!CHEESESTEAKS!

This is me, Sarah and Drew eating Cheesesteaks on South Street in Philly. They were quite amazing! Our waitress opted out of the picture, but she was pretty amused by our cheesesteak fascination.
My arms were super sore the next day, as we put in another eight hour day, but it was very rewarding to see the progress!

Since the weekend was an extra day to honor our Presidents, a group of us decided to continue with some more service work! On Monday the 18th we traveled to Baltimore, MD and worked in the Food Bank of Maryland all day sorting and boxing food that had been donated to the facility. We worked on the preparation that is needed before sending it to various places such as families in need, soup kitchens, etc. It was an awesome project, and the people were great...but we did find some pretty nasty things in those "donated" boxes of food, ie. a family of mice with mom and babies, bugs, etc. It just makes you that much more thankful for the food we have and the ease of which we aquire it!

So that being said, I must go! Take care until the next time!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Me and LeppyMe and Leppy
Me and Leppy

This is me and Leppy in front of the mansion. We make up the short crew! ;o)
Hard Workers!Hard Workers!
Hard Workers!

Go Badger Unit!
ChamounixChamounix
Chamounix

This is a picture of the mansion. The crazy lady in green is my team leader Leah. She is awesome, definitely the glue to our team structure!


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb