Beach Day!


Advertisement
Published: September 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

We are probably one of the only couples that regularly celebrates their 1/2 year dating anniversaries as well as full year, but we do. This year our 6 1/2 year fell during our vacation week from work and the weather was fantastic. It was sunny and high 80's/low 90's! Actually I was a little worried about clouds when we set out in the morning, but Ian reassured me it would be fine - and it was!

It was about a 2 hour drive. We drove through OOB and despite it being a Tuesday, it was packed, so we drove down the road and paid $10 to park in the Pine Point lot, which even though only a mile down the road feels like a nicer beach...but it was packed!!

We grabbed our gear - blankets, books, sunscreeen and BOOGIE Board and walked to a relatively empty spot. I am amazed by the number of people at beaches that simply park it right by the entrance - so coming to the beach from the trail, you have to move between loads of blankets/toys/sandcastles and try not to kick sand in their faces/food.

We sat in the sun for a while and then ventured into the water. Only in Maine would the water be so freaking freezing on one of the summers hotter days. I dipped in a few times, it took Ian a little longer, but he did it. We were a little bummed because the waves were so low we didn't really get use out of the boogie board. We basked in the sun a little more and then swam again...repeat a few more times...We had homemade pb&j sandwiches (fave beach lunch) and read our books....relaxing....

Once we were starting to feel sunburnt and/or baked, we changed and found on street (cheaper) parking on the Old Orchard end of the strip. Ian had never really been there and I hadn't for several years, so we wondered around in the shops selling the cheesy beach apparel and boob mugs - classy things like that you know... We went up on the pier and shared some of the famous pier fries, which were delicious and we managed to avoid the disgusting seagulls swooping around us. A little girl on a bench next to us dropped her pizza face down on the ground, and that was our cue to move on...All in all a perfect beach day.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb