The Haunted City


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Louisiana
May 25th 2005
Published: December 25th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in St Augustine - They oldest permanent city in North America (Pensacola was first settled but got flattered by a hurricane). It is a great little city with historic houses in both southern and Spanish styles.

Anna, Meg and I decided to go for a walk before dinner. We walked down to Castillo de San Marcos fortress. It was built out of a mix of shell and concrete called Conquina. They used it as it was soft and when it was bombed for 27 straight days it survived.

We saw the main entrance gates to the old city then headed back to our hotel which was has a 600 year old tree in the front call ‘Old Senator’.

St Augustine was found when a guy came searching for the fountain of youth… you can go and see it…. For a price! Nothing is free around here!

Went to dinner in the hotel, it was sooo good, rice stir-fry with veggies!!! God I miss veggies!!!

We then headed to the pub to get some drinks before the ghost tour!! They claim this to be one of the most haunted towns in the US... not so
The View The View The View

Castillo de San Marcos Fortress
sure about that!! The ghost tour wasn’t too exciting, there were some funny lights in people’s pictures, they say that these are ‘orbs’.

The highlight of today was the breakfast!! Finally fruit and normal cereal and the lady excelled herself by providing both hot tea and vegemite!!!! yay!! never thought I could be so happy about something so small!! The food here is nasty and it's very difficult to find anything fresh and nice.... hot tea is hard to come by so I guess dad won’t be travelling the US!! I'm going to pick some up at the supermarket - or Walmart as they say here!

Went and checked my emails and I’m no closer to sorting out my flights to Egypt, but I'm sure it's going to all work out fine....

We stopped at the Budweiser Brewery - the first thing you notice is the stench outside, I’m not sure what to liken the smell to but it sure wasn’t pretty!! Got to see the fermentation, various ingredients, boxing and stuff. Went to the hospitality room and tried some different beers, fruit infused beers and bud Select and Amber Bock - it’s all ok! Just tastes like beer to me!

Then travelled through the state of Georgia, which is home to about 8.5 million people and comes in at the 10th most popular state. Georgia is famous for Peaches and Julia Roberts.

We arrived at the waterfront town of Savannah. Magazines have voted Savannah as the prettiest city in the USA and I have to say I agree with them!

The story goes (assuming I have my facts right!!) the English invaded and took it back from the Spanish, the officer in charge was Sherman and he had been burning everything in his path, but on arriving in Savannah, he decided that it was so beautiful that he didn’t burn it and instead gave it to Abraham Lincoln as a Christmas Present. All cities founded by Spain have Plazas - meeting places where all streets should stem from.

We got dropped off at the fountain where we had our group photo, then we walked back and saw the statue of the lady waving a hanky, legend has it she waved all ships in and out for 40 years. We then went and had pictures in the park on the seat from the
An Orb...An Orb...An Orb...

On the ghost tour.
Forest Gump movie.

Got ready and headed out for dinner at the Pirate House. The food was deep fried as usual!! After dinner we went to Wet Willies which is a Daiquiri Bar and we were in heaven there!!





Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.187s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0667s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb