Day 1 - Arlington, VA to Morehead, KY


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kentucky » Morehead
May 12th 2012
Published: May 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

(Jason posting today) So it's day 1 and we're already well on our way to the West Coast. We packed up the bikes this morning and got a great breakfast with Alexis at the Metro 29 Diner. We finished breakfast and hit the road around 9am and headed out through Virginia with a quick stop at Larry's so dad could meet the puppies, and then continued on our way. We took the backroads through West Virginia and then picked up I64 into Kentucky. We had beautiful weather in the 70s the entire way with no traffic. We really didn't see too much of interest along the way since we've traveled a lot of this before, but it was a great day of riding and we put around 450 miles behind us.

We knew we might hit some rain this evening, and possibly tomorrow, but we got into the hotel about 10 minutes before it started raining, so our timing couldn't have been better. We're both exhausted so we ran over to the Cracker Barrel for a quick dinner, and we'll get some sleep so we can hit the road tomorrow and get to St. Louis. It might be a slower day if we hit some rain, but we're hopeful the storms will pass tonight.

What's most impressive today is that neither one of us turned on the radios, instead using the intercom system to chat the entire day, and I learned a lot more about my dad's childhood growing up in Brooklyn and traveling on cross-country vacations with his dad. We've got another 21 days for me to learn a lot more and enjoy the time we've got together on this trip.

Overall, day 1 has been fantastic and I'm excited for the next few weeks. More to come tomorrow.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb