Kansas City, Kansas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kansas » Kansas City
December 21st 2010
Published: December 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


After going to sleep shortly after 1am, I was woken up at 2.30am to view the full lunar eclipse.
All 5 of us and our new friend Jamie from Couch surfers were all standing outside viewing the orange tinted moon with binoculars.
Shortly after watching the eclipse, we all went back downstairs and slept.

At 7.30am we woke up, showered and changed. Jamie made us all pancakes with pancake syrup, berry sauces and honey.
The breakfast was really good, since the previous day we had missed the opportunity for all you can eat pancakes for 99c.

We spoke with Jamie and his family for a couple of hours before packing up and leaving. It was a great experience meeting new people and staying at their house, and the people were really hospitable.

We left Omaha and drove for Kansas City. We crossed many state borders, from Nebraska to Iowa to Missouri to Kansas. The drive was not scenic at all, and was mostly highway. Within 3 hours of listening to the classic rock drivetime radio (Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Beatles, System of A Down) we stopped off in a car park in Kansas City.

The parking meter was basically just a slot where you put your money, there was no electronic ticket system.
We didnt expect to see much from Kansas City, but what it did provide us, was a small insight as to what the east coast may begin to look like.
We dined in a nice (cheap) restaurant and walked around Crowne Plaza and the main street.

All in all, there was not much to see, but it was nice to be in a bigger city for a change.
By the time darkness fell at around 5.30pm we were headed for St Louis, Illinois.
Our 250 mile journey was much of the same, just highway and darkness, the scenery began to get worse and more urban looking, as if we were approaching a major city. The traffic was also very busy.

We briefly stopped at a McDonalds and stopped off at our Motel 8.
Its 10pm and time for bed.
Looking forward to St Louis tomorow!


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.332s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.2909s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb