Touring the Eisenhower Presidential Library


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kansas » Junction City
June 30th 2019
Published: July 17th 2019
Edit Blog Post

June 30
We had a leisurely breakfast this morning. David took the dogs to the dog park in the trailer park while I started breakfast. It was only a smigg cooler today and humidity was down too but still so sweltering that by the time David got back he was soaked with sweat. I wasn’t too sure we could make it in the heat touring the Eisenhower Library in Abeline today.

The owners of the park were out by 8 am today mowing. We didn’t blame them but it wasn’t conducive to sleeping in on a Sunday morning. As we said the RV Park is sparse but very neat and clean. The owners lived in a 5th wheel near the front entrance and the dog park. The owners hovered over the place looking for the slightest infraction to correct. When Courtney arrived yesterday she parked in front of our truck. She’d never seen our truck & trailer so she wasn’t sure if it was ours. David had called the office earlier to see where she could park. Within three minutes of her arrival the park owner was beating on our door to get her to move her car. David tried
President Eisenhower's boyhood home.   President Eisenhower's boyhood home.   President Eisenhower's boyhood home.

The house were the Eisenhower’s grew up. The house stayed in the family and all the furnishings are original. The Presidents Library was built around the boyhood home. Grade school and surrounding neighborhood was purchased and torn down but the original home and yard was not disturbed.
to explain we were leaving for breakfast momentarily but it didn’t seem to sway his concern. We watched the owner hover over all the temporary inhabitants looking for issues. We try very hard to be compliant residents where ever we stay, keeping our dogs on leash, cleaning up after them, not driving on the grass etc. but these owners just made you feel like you were under a microscope the whole time. We sure wouldn’t stay here again as a result. We only had the one encounter with Courtney’s car but we observed the constant observation of everyone. It was interesting because in all our travels we find fellow campers to be pretty cordial and considerate. Except for the dog owners who conveniently look away when their dog poops and they walk away without cleaning it up. One camper describe this behavior as “Shit-an-runs”! It makes all the other dog owners mad too! I don’t know how long the owners have had the park, but they are nervous-nellies making life pretty uncomfortable for all.

Courtney arrived and parker her car in the designated parking area and we loaded up in the truck and headed to Abilene KS about 11 miles west. We arrived at the Eisenhower Presidential Library and Museum to a sparsely populated parking lot. The museum is under renovation and won’t be complete for another month. We attempted to purchase tickets when the attendant told us to hurry into to the theatre as the documentary was just starting. We did and found the short film very informative. Eisenhower was President from 1953 to 1961. Since I was born in 52, I technically knew him to be president but was too young to remember him. He passed away in March of 1969 the year I got married, 16, so I don’t remember that either. Summer of 1969 was when the astronauts landed on the moon and I sure remember that! Anyway, it seems Eisenhower’s life and Presidency was all pretty much new information for me. David being a few years older remembered a bit more but Courtney, well just a history lesson for her.

After the documentary we purchased our tickets and headed out to tour the Eisenhower boyhood home. It was a small white home in the middle of a park like setting. The home, grounds and contents are original. When the library and museum were
Statue of General Eisenhower on the grounds. Statue of General Eisenhower on the grounds. Statue of General Eisenhower on the grounds.

Statue represents Eisenhower’s command of D-Day in WWII
built the home sat in neighborhood near an old school. All those building were torn down, streets removed and this beautiful park created.
We enjoyed looking at the small house. We then walked over to memorial chapel where both Ike and Mamie are buried along with a son who died as a child. The stain glass windows were very pretty.

The library and museum builds sit opposite each other with a small monument and bronze statue of Eisenhower in his uniform. The museum was closed but a small display was set up in the library during the renovation. Most of the exhibit were already highlighted in the documentary. We did see three more short films. I really enjoyed seeing Mamie’s inaugural dress.

While it was hot we got revived going in each building, thank goodness. We spent 3 hours and we all enjoyed it very much. It just makes me realize that I need to do more reading about Eisenhower.

Afterward we travelled back to our trailer to let the pups out but it was so hot they certainly did want to stay out and play. This is their first summer and I don’t think they much care for heat! We scrambled back into the trailer and tried to pick a restaurant for dinner. That job is tough enough in this rural setting but compound it with the fact it’s Sunday made it even more difficult. We finally settled on a place in Junction City, 5 miles east for sushi. Courtney in all her trips seeing us had grown to like it so we went. The food was actually quite good and we all chowed down after our big day.

Courtney stayed for a little tv before we all said our goodbyes. I found it particularly difficult to say goodbye. I had a hard time leaving her in Kansas all alone. As one grows older I think we begin to realize more about the importance of family. In the end, love is what’s important. I waved goodbye with tears rolling down my cheeks as Courtney drove away.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb