Beginning of Year Two


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Indiana
September 3rd 2008
Published: September 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

CREEPY.CREEPY.CREEPY.

We were out walking one night (in Illinois) and nearly stepped on this...I think it's a Praying Mantis. It was about 4" long, and when I got close he reared up on his back legs, resting on his tail. When I'd walk to the side of him, he'd keeping turning, looking at me with those beady eyes. Very creepy...
(Michigan City, IN)



Wow, it’s been a long time since my last entry, and this probably won’t be a long one, but I wanted to let you know that we’re alive, well, and on the move. It was such an amazing summer, and it's hard to see it end. We finished at Jean’s about the middle of August, and the kennels turned out even better than either Bob or Jean had envisioned. The dogs have a large exercise area for times between training, and Jean has some place to show everyone that wanders on her property~~whether they want to see it or not!! We went to Billings for good-byes, which is always the hardest part.

Under the How Weird is This column, I was driving down a Billings street, with my window down and arm out, and I must have driven into a herd of bees, because I was stung by three of them. (Scientifically speaking, if a bunch of bees sting a person who’s happily driving down the street, it’s known as a herd. See how informative this is!) Luckily, I was in a place where I could pull over (bee stings really hurt.)
Recycling at its highest--Recycling at its highest--Recycling at its highest--

This was growing in a backlot in the recycling center in Dickinson. Adds class to the place, don't you think?
They stung me on the lower neck/upper shoulder area. I’ll bet it shocked them about as much as it shocked me!

We left Dickinson the 25th, and headed to Mankato for a few days with Megan, and then off to the new adventures! Our immediate goal was to get through Chicago before the work week began…which we successfully accomplished! Bob was nervous about driving in the Chicago area, after driving all over California??? Didn’t make sense to me either.


An observation: there are a lot fewer trucks on the road than we’ve ever seen. When we drive toward Minneapolis, the closer you get the more rigs you’re traveling among. This time there weren’t many more than you’d encounter driving toward Billings.


We’re parked at a nice RV park outside Michigan City (not Michigan~~Indiana!) It’s been hot here the two days we’ve been here, with yesterday (first school day for kids in this area!) being the hottest day of the year (93!) You’re going to be hearing about the humidity, because it’s an issue! Yesterday people were going about their business like it wasn’t a disabling humidity, and yet every time we moved we were drenched! Yikes. Our systems will adjust to it, right?

Monday we went to the lake for their Labor Day celebration. The lake shore is really clean, and the whole thing feels like the ocean, in that you can’t see land any direction you look. The water isn’t warm warm, but it’s not like being in the Pacific Ocean. I expected it to taste salty; we didn’t swim, just waded, but I’m sure there isn’t salt in there! Lots of people, though, and lots of sand castles. We intended to go again on Tuesday, but it was so very hot that we changed our plans.

Instead we went to the Newmar (RV) factory, in Nappanee. It was so interesting to see how they made our bus, and to see what new changes they’ve made. Lots of interesting new floor plans. The company is Amish owned and run, so there’s that quality built in. (That’s not a paid advertisement!)


We need to be at our new project (Lawton, MI) on Friday, and we start work on Monday. We’re both very ready!



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

As seen in Wisconsin.As seen in Wisconsin.
As seen in Wisconsin.

Doesn't that seem a little early to start pushing Oregon???
Date:  August 30...Date:  August 30...
Date: August 30...

What's up with this????
It's all about choices,It's all about choices,
It's all about choices,

and this leaves you the choice of just MOVING ALONG!
Parking places available!Parking places available!
Parking places available!

Nappanee, where the Newmar factory is located, is in the heart of Amish country. This shelter was located downtown.


Tot: 0.275s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 62; dbt: 0.1279s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb