American-Mexican War


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
January 22nd 2014
Published: January 22nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

The Mexican-American War (1846-1848) marked the first U.S. armed conflict chiefly fought on foreign soil. When the dust cleared, Mexico had lost about one-third of its territory, including nearly all of present-day California, Utah, Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico. This war took place in the southwest territory, and in Mexico. The war, in which U.S forces were consistently victorious.,beat the Mexicans. The Mexicans were weak and unprepared for this war that they eventually lost. The cause for this war was because James polk, 11th president of the United States (1845-49) under his leadership fought the Mexican War (1846-48). Polk had his eyes on California, New Mexico and the rest of what is today, the southwest. When his offer to purchase those lands were rejected, he instigated a fight by moving troops into a disputed zone between the Rio Grande and Nauces River.Then,Mexican cavalry attacked a group of U.S. soldiers killing a dozen. On May 13th, Congress declared war, despite opposition from some northern lawmakers. No official declaration of war ever came from Mexico. Which meant that Mexico was not prepared and reason why they did not defeat America. Throughout the time, America invade mexico territories and capturing them. Later mexico withdraw and eventually lost from America. Finally, they made Rio Grande and Nauces river as the borderline between Mexico and United States. Mexico agreed to sell california of its territory of North Rio Grande for $15 million plus the assumption of certain damages and claims.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb