Chicago


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
May 19th 2006
Published: August 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

ChicagoChicagoChicago

The Chicago skyline from Navy Pier. The Sears Tower can be seen in this picture.
The first thing I noticed about Chicago was its sheer size it took 40 minutes on the train to get to downtown from the airport. The second thing I noticed was how friendly the people were, everyone was eager to help, and people showed a genuine interest in our trip what we had done and what we were doing. It was a real positive and happy atmosphere. The third thing I noticed was after I came up to street level, and it was how beautiful the city was. The various styles of architecture gave Chicago a sense of identity different from any other US city. Its position next to lake Michigan acted as a stunning backdrop to the glorious high-rising towers & skyscrapers that fill the Chicago skyline. The city, which burnt down in 1871, attracted architects from around the globe to come and help rebuild the city and they gave it the character and style it has today.

Forced into a HI hostel for two nights we dug deep into our pockets. I believe Ben actually had to sell a kidney at this point in order to afford this massively overpriced hostel. After dropping off the bags we went
Chicago Town PizzaChicago Town PizzaChicago Town Pizza

Real authentic Chicago Town Pizza, from Unos.
looking for a good place to eat. I finally managed to persuade Ben into selling his remaining kidney and eating out at a genuine Chicago town pizza restaurant. The pizza made not of dough but of pasty was extremely filing and I could only manage one slice. It turned out to be quite cost effective as the remainder of the pizza served me for another three meals.

That evening we me a guy called Brett and arranged to go out drinking with him the following night.

The following day we took a free walking tour provided by the hostel, very informative and interesting it pointed out some of the architectural highlights. A place noted on the tour, which we later came back too was a giant reflective kidney bean that altered your image when you stood in different locations.

That evening we met with Brett and hit the town. Starting in an Irish bar and finishing in a bar called ‘Howl at the Moon’ that had duelling pianos, it was a very good night. The next morning, feeling worse for wears, we moved out to a cheaper hostel 40 minutes out from downtown. We spent the rest
Chicago ArchitectureChicago ArchitectureChicago Architecture

Chicago is full of interesting and unique buildings
of the day exploring navy pier, a large entertainment and shop complex on a pier. To conclude the day we went to a cinema to watch De Vinci code, outside a couple of religious fanatics protested against the film, obviously not understanding the concepts of fiction and non-fiction.

For our final day in Chicago we explored downtown further including some of the more famous buildings, including the water tower and the Wrigley building. Later that evening we prepared for our upcoming time in the wilderness and went to bed early. The next morning we headed to the train station where we boarded the California Zephyr to start the first leg of the 2,422-mile journey to San Francisco.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

ApartmentsApartments
Apartments

These two buildings are Chicago apartments, in the lower part of the building there is a House of Blues bar.
The Tribune TowerThe Tribune Tower
The Tribune Tower

The Tribune Tower has parts of other buildings embedded into its walls, such as the pyramids, Houses of Parliament and the Coliseum.
Public ArtPublic Art
Public Art

Chicago is full of public art, like this water fountain/video screen.
Arty BridgeArty Bridge
Arty Bridge

Another piece of Chicago art. - A bridge
Outdoor ArenaOutdoor Arena
Outdoor Arena

Another piece of Chicago art. - An outdoor arena for free concerts.
Kidney BeanKidney Bean
Kidney Bean

The giant Kidney Bean - another Chicago art project.
Kidney Bean reflectionsKidney Bean reflections
Kidney Bean reflections

The shape of the Kidney bean produced some interesting reflections. This is our attempt of art. I think we were feeling somewhat inspired.
Me in the BeanMe in the Bean
Me in the Bean

Me in front of the bean
Saturday NightSaturday Night
Saturday Night

A big night out in Chicago with Brett.
Ben and BrettBen and Brett
Ben and Brett

In the 'Howl at the Moon' bar
The GroupThe Group
The Group

The end of the night. From Left to Right: Carrie, Heather, Ben, Lauren, and Angus. I'm taking the picture.
Da Vinci CodeDa Vinci Code
Da Vinci Code

Protestors outside the Cinema where we watched the Da Vinci Code


Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0596s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb