RIHLA #27


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
May 27th 2013
Published: May 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

One current event that directly represents a violation of civil rights was the ban of the gay pride rally in the Ukraine. Last Thursday, in the Ukraine, gay pride enthusiasts were organizing a rally to take place during the annual Kiev day celebrations for expressing their gay pride. Nevertheless, city authorities shut it down because they thought it would be extremely controversial and may provoke violence. They also feared that this rally would increase gay persecution. This was a direct violation of freedom of expression and freedom of assembly. It violated freedom of expression because all the gay pride enthusiasts wanted to do was express their devotion to being of the gay persuasion. They were also attempting to spread acceptance and create a greater tolerance for people that happen to be gay. And for a country to inhibit this, directly violates this right. This also violated the human right of freedom of assembly because the government was disrupting their right to gather and express themselves. I think this issue should be publicized a lot more than it currently is because it is a violation of civil rights. Additionally, I think they should be able to rally because while it may have been dangerous, the majority of other movements, rallies, and petitions are, so, in my opinion, that is not a viable excuse.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 999.5kb