RIHLA #26


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
May 22nd 2013
Published: May 22nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

In Bangladesh, workers get a increase in pay because the government set up new minimum wages for their workers to increase their pay. These garment workers are paid some of the lowest wages in the world. Later on, the Rana Plaza collapsed and it has questioned Bangladesh’s powerful industry. Bangladesh is considered to be the third exporter of clothes in the world. Yet, 1,800 workers have been killed since 2005 because of factory fires and building collapses. Moreover, in November 112 workers were killed in a factory because it lacked emergency exits for the workers to run for safety. I think this is violated human rights because they pay these garment workers very little, yet the work environment is dangerous and their safety is not guaranteed. Authorities even said that when the Rana Plaza collapsed three floors of the eight story high building was build illegally. That tells me that thousands workers work for this industry, but many died because of poor working decisions. I don’t believe they are doing a good job in solving this problem because ministries have been closing down the factories. The problem is not closing the factories because that will cause many workers to be jobless; however, they should fix the factories and make them have more safety for the garment workers.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb