A6 - RIHLA #26


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
May 21st 2013
Published: May 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

1. A building called the Rana Plaza located in Bangladesh collapsed killing more than 1,100 workers. As a result of this, the government agreed to allow the country's garment workers to have union rights (by letting them form trade unions without permission from the factory owners) and that workers will get higher pay. However, after the incident, workers are still rescuing bodies from the ruins of the fallen building and are beginning to be more conscious about the safety and working standards of the job.

2. Human rights were violated because although trade unions were allowed in many of Bangladesh's industries, owners of garment factories never did because it would lead to lack of discipline of workers. That may be the case, but because of the collapse it calls for desperate measures. What if they want to plan how to plan for ideas of better working conditions. It could really help the aftermath of the problem. Owners should listen to the voice of the workers, because it'll help with the future of the business.

3. I think although the economy is suffering right now, their rights still be protected since they have been working there for a long time. They barely go through the day with low minimum wage, but it's enough to help them support the family with basic needs. I think what should be done is to wait patiently for the factories to be back in normal condition. Until then, the workers should try to hang tight and find a job, even though it's hard to. A seamstress survived the collapse by herself for 17 days on dried food and bottled and rain water. It's possible to survive without a job.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb