RIHLA #19


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
February 23rd 2013
Published: February 26th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Columbus Controversy

This article was about the different view points that some people have towards Christopher Columbus and his exploration of the "new world." Mayne people have different ideas on how he should be celebrated or not. Many people just see Columbus day as a day off of school or work, but to many citizens in the United States, its a day where it honors their anncestors or relatives. The way that Columbus treated the Native American people was beyond horrific. I have no idea how many native americans survived the torture and abuse they recieved from the spañards. Violence, disease, and the forced conversion to Christianity were the threee really big sources of contraversy that people have about Columbus and his interactions with the Native Americans.

I feel as though Columbus was very harsh and mal-intended on the native americans. The native americans were inviting and welcoming to the Spañards when they first came to the Americas. The Spañards repaid them by enslaving them and torturing them and killing them only because they would refuse to give up thier land or convert to a different religion or give up their culture. Columbus and the Spañards went back to Spain with Native americans and sold many of them to the commoners for profits. How can someone do that? Sell another humna being ?! Well, I believe that Columbus and his men were commiting wrong actions and should have been punished.

This connects to class because it touches on the idea of Columbus and how he acted towards the indigenous people and their culture. A few vocab words were repeated, but some one the terms were new. It gives us a visual of why Columbus day is a contraversial issue.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb