RIHLA # 19


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
February 26th 2013
Published: February 26th 2013
Edit Blog Post

RIHLA #19

1. The Columbus Controversy is mainly about how Columbus’s voyage to finding the “new world” may have been a complete horrible voyage. He is still up to this day considered a hero too many people. However, this passage talks about how overcame obstacles to their greater mission in a malicious way. He was the host of new diseases that would have long term effects on native people in America, forced people to convert to Christianity, and used violence and slavery against them. The question is, if he caused so much harm, should Columbus Day be considered a Holiday?

2. I am completely astonished. I always thought of Columbus Day as just a normal day where we celebrate the founding of the land. I never knew how much corruption was done. Up to this moment, I am still surprised. Even though we get a day off of school, now that I know this, I think the Columbus Day should not be celebrated.

3. This connects to the class because last class we were discussing whether Cortes was a hero, villain, or other. Cortes seemed to be a hero to some, villain to others, and even both to some. The same goes with Columbus, he was the man who “found” the new land, but yet he did so much destruction.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0539s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1002.9kb