RIHLA #19- Columbus Day


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
February 23rd 2013
Published: February 26th 2013
Edit Blog Post

1) The article is about the controversy of Christopher Columbus and his celebration. The author gives the idea that Columbus does not deserve to be the reason for kids to have the school day off. The author states that Columbus enslaved many Native Americans because they seemed to be good slaves. They also state that Columbus brought a lot of disease to the new lands. Therefore, they believe that he brought bad fortune to the Native Americans. At a time he was sent back to his land because settlers lobbied against him.

2) Before I read this article, I knew there were controversys against Columbus Day. However, I did not know that the accusations were this drastic. I personally believe that Columbus did the world a good deed by discovering America. However, I feel that he did many people bad deeds by being a cruel man towards them. He should have treated the Native Americans in a humane manor and respected them. I am neutral on the stance of whether the date should be obliterated or not.

3) This connects to class because we are learning about the explorers of the world. Specifically, we are learning about Christopher Columbus. This shows us how similar the other explorers could have acted when discovering new lands and people.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0466s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb