RIHLA #18


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
February 18th 2013
Published: February 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

A school in Anaheim, California has implemented GPS tracking technologies to increase student attendance. Students who have 4 or more unexcused absences are assigned to carry handheld GPS devices to ensure they were not skipping or ditching school. This program was designed out of the frustration of school officials and the police department because Children who skip school are more likely to end up in gangs or involved in criminal activity. The tracking of the student is completely voluntary because it is not meant to be a punishment but instead an intervention. This tracking counter acts the habitual ditching and therefore reduces the chances that children will end up in gangs. My reaction to this development is that of agreement. I completely agree with this countermeasure to student absences. I believe that it is an effective way of reducing student absences and therefore gang violence. This will be a big step in ensuring that the future class room will have higher attendance records; moreover, it will also ensure that our streets will be safer and that there will be less violence in the future.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb