RIHLA#17


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
February 11th 2013
Published: February 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

1. Some of the reasons that books are banned in schools are because the children's parents are concerned about inappropriate language and inappropriate subject for children. There are many reason but the main reasons that seem to be repeated include: drinking, premarital sex, cursing, and sexual content.

2. Censorship usually comes in the form of concerned parents that don’t want their children to be exposed to worldviews through the books they read. Censored books usually are topics focused on social and religious topics and are removed from class rooms and libraries so children do not have access to them or can manipulate the writing. I disagree with any kind of censorship because the children are the ones that will have that lack of knowledge if they read a censored book, also they will not be able to connect as much with the author because once the writing has been manipulated the author’s meaning has been changed. The children should be able to see the author’s real view and where it is that the author stands on any issues.

3. I believe that it should be the teacher who should decide which books are taught in school. The reason for this is because teachers organize the topics they want to teach and if a book has topics addressed that the students are learning in class then it would be vital for the children to learn. The teacher can explain what it is the author wrote and interpret it so that the children can better understand topics through multiple writings provided in classes.

4. If an individual wanted to fight book censorship, a possible approach that they could take would be for them to read the book that is concerted to either be controversial or containing inappropriate topics. Along with reading the censored book they should get a hold of the original version and see what parts have been manipulated. They should examine what ways would it affect the reader to read the censored view. When the individual read through both books at the same time and they have evidence of the damage the censored books can do to children’s learning then it should be brought up to the school that has censored book or that particular book.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1005.3kb