A4 Rihla #17


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
February 10th 2013
Published: February 10th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Hello fellow blogger's!

Today's topic is banned books. If we as American's have a freedom of speech and press, then why are some books banned? One of the major reasons why books are put on the banned list is because of sex, profanity, and racism. It is believed by citizens that children should not be exposed to any of those categories. I believe that the banned book list shouldn't exist. Students should have the freedom to read any type of assigned book they desire in school as long as it aligns with the curriculum. Also, the profanity and racism in most banned books expresses the reality of what has happened in history. Another reason why some books are banned is because schools don't want the book they assign to force upon an opinion to a child. I disagree with this statement as well because I think that people naturally have their own opinion and based of the book they are reading they can form their individual opinion. Students and teachers should be allowed to decide what books should be taught in school. They should decide because many "excellent reads" that align perfectly with school curriculum are banned and if a student and teacher agree on reading that book they should be able to read it. If an individual wanted to fight book censorship they could write a letter to public officials, work with community groups, or even participate in Banned Books Week.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb