A2 RIHLA #13


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
December 16th 2012
Published: December 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

1. How is Hind Ahmas' veil different from other Muslim veils?

In the article, Unveiling Europe, Hind Ahmas' veil is different from other Muslim veils because her veil, a niqab, is a head-to-toe veil that allows just a small portion for the eyes to be seen. On the other hand, other veils, like the hijab and the chador, exposes more than just a woman's eyes.

2. Why is Ahmas unable to wear her veil? How does she feel about this?

Hind Ahmas is unable to wear her veil because of France's "burqa ban" that forbids women to use a fully covered veil. Ahmad feels as though her rights of self expression are being taken away from her. In addition, She also feels miserable but she does not give in. She fights back, and she has "broken the law more times than she can count".

3.Defenders of the law, have two major reasons for their support. What are they?

People who support the "burqa ban" say that veils could enable crime or terrorism and prevents them from fully engaging in French society, and should therefore banned. I.

4. Do you think that a government should be able to decide what constitutes female oppression? Why or why not?

I believe that a government should not be able to decide what constitutes female oppression because every woman has a different opinion on what makes them feel oppress. Every individual should be able to decide for themselves on the clothing they wear in public, it is after all part of their freedom of expression.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb