A2 RIHLA #1


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
September 21st 2012
Published: September 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

1. The "Why Do Women Still Earn Less Than men?" article talks about how women who work just as hard as the men still earn, on average, less than the men. The main reasoning behind this is that women tend to enter jobs that generally pay more. However, even the women entering male-dominant fields of work still receives less pay that the men they work with. This shows how there is still gender inequality in America, and it's not just the choice of which the women make. In class, we learned about the rise of civilization, and we get a glimspe of the role of women in these civilizations. I've noticed that, in any of the civilations we've studied, women were not given as much rights as the men. The men were the ones who were allowed to have property and raise to power while women only sit back and watch, helpless.

2. In this article, I've noticed two themes that are evident: Social Structures and Economic Systems. Social structures refer to the the roles of the gender in a civilization. In this article, it has been explained that men get the higher pay while women settle for less even though they are sometimes the primary breadwinner. Economic systems refer to the labor systems in which both women and men work just as hard as each other; however, the men get more for less because the society and economy prefer them over the women.

3. I would agree with the author's point of view that women do not have as much choice. Some women, such as my mother, are the breadwinners of the family. They have to work so much harder to equal the pay of man while those men can slack off. It does not give the women any benefits at all.

4. I would want to learn more about why does our American economy still function this way. I would also like to know if this inequality or discrimination comes from that general thought that women are weaker than the men. I'd like to see if this problem also arises in medical fields such as nursing to see if my mother is battling these very same problems.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb