Rihla #29


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
May 21st 2012
Published: May 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Amnesty International is a worldwide movement of people fighting injustice and promoting human rights. The organization’s mission is to protect people whose freedom and rights are being violated. This organization hopes to help every individual in the world enjoy all of the human rights stated in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR). Amnesty International investigates abuses of rights being denied and reports them to the public with the intension of creating a safe world. Because of its accomplishments, this organization was fortunate to receive the Nobel Peace Prize. Moreover, Amnesty International has more than 3 million supporters, activists and volunteers in more than 150 countries.

The article I read from Amnesty International addresses women’s rights. The article mentions that women’s rights are non-negotiable in Afghanistan. Since the overthrow of the Taliban, there have been some advances in women’s rights and freedom. However, the article argues that much still needs to be done. Amnesty International finds it extremely crucial for the U.S government to adopt an action plan for Afghan women to ensure that they keep their rights. The organization demands that the U.S makes it clear that human rights are non-negotiable. The article states that women and girls often experience gender-based discrimination that puts them at an increased risk of poverty, violence, ill health and a poor education.

My findings in the article I read relate to human rights. Women in Afghanistan have less opportunities and rights than men. For example, they have a limited education and are more likely to experience poverty, illness, and violence. I find this very unfair, and I strongly feel that women and men should be treated equally. I think every person in the world regardless of race, religion, and gender should enjoy all of the rights in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0577s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb