Rihla #26


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
April 14th 2012
Published: April 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

<strong style="color:� font-family: Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 18px; text-align: left;">Create a TOP TEN list of the best experiences you've had or things that you like about UIC College Prep. Each idea must be expressed in complete sentences.

<strong style="color:� font-size: 12px; line-height: 18px; text-align: left;">1) Classmates

In my two years of being at UIC College Prep, I have been around the most hardworking and respectful young people I have ever known. Most of my classmates will treat you like they would any one else, which is why there are very few fights at our school. Even if itis a simepl "hello" or "good morning", I feel comfortable saying that because I know they know me too, even if it is just by name. I knwo everyone will gorw up to be very successful.



<strong style="color:� font-size: 12px; line-height: 18px; text-align: left;">2) Classes

<strong style="color:� font-size: 12px; line-height: 18px; text-align: left;">As hard as they are, my classes are very interesting and definitely very helpful for out future in college as well as in the workfield. For example, Personal Finance is a very challening class, but we are getting knowledge that some college students don't know yet about the economy. Also, in our college seminar class, we are creating resumes and appyling for scholarships which is a great way to better prepare ourselves for what may lay ahead. We are getting a headstart than other seniors in other schools.

<strong style="color:� font-size: 12px; line-height: 18px; text-align: left;">3) Teachers

They may seem scary at times, but teachers at UIC College Prep are definitely people who are changing lives. They are very caring and are up to doing anything for their students for them to be successful. They stay after school to help students and create lesson plans with objectives that they want their student to master. The teachers at UIC College Prep are people who have learned a lot from their experiences and want to share their experiences with students so that they will be more open minded, as well as not repeating mistakes that have occured in the past. Teachers have so much they want to share in such little time.



<strong style="color:� font-size: 12px; line-height: 18px; text-align: left;">4) Preparation

<strong style="color:� font-size: 12px; line-height: 18px; text-align: left;">UIC College Prep, as the name states, is a college preparatory school which, in my opinion, means that the students are getting similar schedules and levels of work that a college student may have. There are no excuses; students must work to the bestof their ability to do well in all their classes which is not as easy task. However, my hope is that once we get to college, it will seem way easier in a sense and we will know how to react to the effects of colleg,e since they may be similar to the ones we had in high school.

<strong style="color:� font-size: 12px; line-height: 18px; text-align: left;">5) Support

<strong style="color:� font-size: 12px; line-height: 18px; text-align: left;">Whenever students have any problems, they know they can ask so many people at school for advice or help. There are so many supportive friends as well as teachers who will listen to the students and make sure they are receving any help that they need. The staff is setting up students for success, which is why it is their obligation to do what they can to the students. Therefore, students have someone to turn to when they might feel uncomfortable speaking with parents or someone outside of school.

<strong style="color:� font-size: 12px; line-height: 18px; text-align: left;">6) Exposure to Career Opportunities

<strong style="color:� font-size: 12px; line-height: 18px; text-align: left;">What I am most grateful for is being able to work with people outside of school for our possible future careers. For example, my experiences in my Capstone class have really opened my mind to new possibilities. I have also met incredible people in that field, like my mentors, who are showing me the work that a Social Worker does and giving me advice on what to expect of the job. Also, I have learned a lot from college visits by getting to know the majors that schools offer and thejobs I can get with those majors.

<strong style="color:� font-size: 12px; line-height: 18px; text-align: left;">7) Diversity

<strong style="color:� font-size: 12px; line-height: 18px; text-align: left;">Just like a university, there is much diversity at UIC College Prep. When there is diversity, one gets to know more about other cultures and accept differences. In a diverse environment, we get to get a little taste of food and languages that we have never experienced before, which motivates us to travel more and want to know more about the history of cultures and traditions.

<strong style="color:� font-size: 12px; line-height: 18px; text-align: left;">8) Safety

The promise that was made to make students safe at UIC College Prep is such a comforting thing that I really appreciate. When students are in a safe environment, they know that they don't have to worry constantly about being injured or in trouble. Whenever help is needed, it is made available. There are also many rules that are made in order to prevent unsafe things from happening. There is a reason to every rule, which relates to the promise of being a safe school.



<strong style="color:� font-size: 12px; line-height: 18px; text-align: left;">9) Teachers listening to students' opinions

<strong style="color:� font-size: 12px; line-height: 18px; text-align: left;">Teachers call on student because they want to hear theyir opinions to make them know that their thoughts matter. They want every student to be courageous anddefend their thoughts either verbally or by writing essays. This way, student will not be afraid to sheare their thoughts especially when they arrive to college and their future jobs. Students should share ideas because they really do matter.

<strong style="color:� font-size: 12px; line-height: 18px; text-align: left;">10) Unity/Pride

<strong style="color:� font-size: 12px; line-height: 18px; text-align: left;">I really admire how there are so many students that follow the rules because that shows that they respect their school and know that they are benefitting, despite the very hard work they put in school. Students help each other and encourage each other to do better when things get really hard because they understand their frustration. Also, we are very competitive when it comes to sports and we want to show our pride to others because we are a good example of a positive multigenerational change.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb