RHILA #21


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
March 5th 2012
Published: March 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

1. According to this article, how is modern slavery different from earlier forms of slavery throughout history?

Today's modern slavery involves human trafficking. What this means is that males and females are being used/ exchanged for sex. Earlier forms of slavery involved plantations, slave cabins and auction blocks, abuse, coercion and manipulation remain the order of the day.



2. Why does this movement against human sex trafficking connect to the legacy of President Lincoln?

Lincoln wanted to abolish slavery, so the 13th Amendment was created. However, modern slavery exist. Somethimes it is difficult for one to determine who is mistreating someone else. Moreover, everyone is aware that slavery exits but in a more modern way.



3. Describe the Polaris project. What do you think about this project?

The Polaris project got its name because it was the "North Star that helped guide slaves to freedom along the Underground Railroad". I think the objective of this project is to help individuals who are in a human trafficking situation and can not or do not think there is anything they can do. The Polaris project might be like a support group. The article states that it "operates a national hotline, taking calls 24 hours a day in more than 170 languages, from people who suspect trafficking is going on in their communities and from victims themselves".



4. Do you agree with this article – that human sex trafficking is a form of modern day slavery?

Yes I do agree. I think it's completey sick and upsetting that in today's society where people can get all differents kinds of support and help to do something, they go the wrong way and take advantage of innoccent people and ruin that individuals life.





5. In your opinion, can you think of any other examples of modern day slavery?

Also, I think that drug trafficking is another form of slavery. From watching the news I know that in Mexico the drug dealers, tell store owners or other people to do them certain favors or else they and their family will die. So not much of an option is given to them. Obviously the drug dealers will be feared because people hear about all of the terrible things that have happened.



6. Additional thoughts/questions?

There was a part in the article that left me with my mouth open.I know that if I was used as a piece of property I would feel worthless because anything said or done to me would be up to whoever "owned" me. No one deserves to be treated like a piece of property and unfairly.



"The whole issue of trafficking is dehumanizing and objectifying somebody and saying, “You're not a human being, we can use you like property.” And what we're trying to do is humanize the issue and say this is how to connect with it on a very, very human level."

Advertisement



Tot: 0.227s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0525s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb