Rihla 20


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
February 28th 2012
Published: February 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The columbian exchange & triangle affected current day foods in the way that many cultures share the same dishes but modified.



Horchata( rice water)

Ingredients
<ul style="margin-left: 20px;">
• Rice -- 2 cups
• Water -- 6 cups
• Cinnamon -- 1/2 teaspoon
• Sugar -- 1/3 cup
• Vanilla -- 1 teaspoon


Methods


• Soak the rice overnight in 3 cups of the water. Add the rice, soaking water and cinnamon to a blender and puree until smooth, 2-3 minutes.
• Strain into a pitcher through a fine-meshed sieve or several layers of cheesecloth. There should be no grit or large particles in the liquid.
• Stir in the remaining 3 cups water, sugar and vanilla. Adjust sugar to taste and serve well chilled.



-
The origins of this drink stem from Egypt where they originally used the chufa nut to make horchata. During ancient times, the drink made its way to Spain. When the Spaniards brought the drink to Mexico, the natives used rice to make the drink.
- my family identifies with this recepie because when ever we have family gatherings horchata is always percent. Many of our family dinners as well we would have horchata to drink.- people should have variety of foods because now days we are becoming more diverse and it is important to learn from other cultures and at times different cultures share the same dishes.- food is importantfin ones culture because that way each one of us have our own diet. Also, we value a lot our dishes more than anything in this world.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb