Rihla 19


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
February 21st 2012
Published: February 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

What are some of the reasons that books are banned in high schools?

The reasoning behind the banning of books in high schools are for the following reasons sex, profanity, and racism are the major influences to the banning of specific books.

Do you agree with any of these reasons? Explain.

I do not agree with any of these reasons. I believe if the books are being read for educational purposes then scholars should be able to access the books and read them in class. Our first amendments pervents us from not being allowed to read whatever it is we wish to read, and like it stated in the aritcle, " the government man not prohibit the expression of an idea simly because society finds the idea itself offensive or disagreeable". We as a society need to be critical thinkers and expand our intellectual curiosity, no matter the content.

What reasons do you NOT agree with (this means that you think high school students SHOULD be able to read about these topics). Why?

The reasoning why I do not agree with is that scholars have exposure of sexual advertisments, they hear individuals use profanity, and in some cases in the news you still hear in high schools how kids are racist to one another. In school while reading topics of these materials i feel are great ways for students to not be racist and learn from the literature.

Who do you think pressures teachers on what they should or shouldn't teach

who I think pressures teachers on what they should or should not teach is it first begins with the teacher and them asking themselves what they are going to teach. Then it goes to the school adminstration, and finally it goes to the state educational system.

If one wanted to fight against book censorship, explain at least one way in which they could do so.

If anyone wanted to fight against book censorship one way they can do so is explain why beofre these books were banned it was evdient that students were reading them for school related material.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb