RIHLA #19


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
February 18th 2012
Published: February 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post


• What are some of the reasons that books are banned in high schools?



Some reasons books are banned in highschools are because of sex, violence, religion, prejudice, and profanity.


• Do you agree with any of these reasons? Explain.



I don't agree because, we need to be exposed to these facts of life just because, they are not being taught in school does not mean that they do not happen. Censoring kids from books does not mean these things wont happen, so its better to expose students in a learning environment, rather them handling it on their own without any guidance to help them through the topics.


• What reasons do you NOT agree with (this means that you think high school students SHOULD be able to read about these topics). Why?



I dont agree with any of the reasons, because they all should be exposed to students because they are all real and all revelant to everyone's life.


• Who do you think pressures teachers on what they should or shouldn't teach?



Parents probably pressure teachers more than everything, because parents are the ones who have the problems with what their children read, they are the most critical people on the books. They are the reason most books are banned.


• If one wanted to fight against book censorship, explain at least one way in which they could do so.



They could do a number of things, the one i would choose as the best, would be to work with community groups. I think this is the best because if a whole community disagrees with just a few individuals then the decision will obviously be in favor of the majority.


• Any other additional thoughts or comments?



I think that everyone is very opinionated, and we all deserve to let our voices to be heard. I ultimately believe that we should act in favor of the majority and be as fair as we can. When it comes to banning books.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb