RHILA #8


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
November 15th 2011
Published: November 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Weddings, Divorces, and Marriages

In today's society, weddings are arranged by the people who are actually getting married. In Ancient Rome marriages were arranged by the two family members of each side.

-A proper Roman marriage could not be done if the bride and groom were not Roman Citizens, unless they were granted special permission. This shows how there were specific laws before a marriage could take place.
-Weddings for the Romans had to take place at the betrothal, gifts could be exchanged, a written agreement had to be signed and it was official after the bride and groom kissed. The bride wears a tunica, an orange wedding veil and orange shoes. After the marriage there would be a feast with both families, then the couple would go to their new home. Of course the bride would be carried to the home like a princess so she wouldn't trip.
-The Romans divorce was just as simple as getting married. The declaration said that the married Roman couple had to live together, so when the couple gets a divorce, they can no longer live together. Romans had to declare their divorce wished before seven witnesses. The women independence is depended upon what will happen after the divorce has taken place. The roman women would have either gained protection from their father or regained their own independence back.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb