RIHLA #8


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
November 7th 2011
Published: November 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Marriage
marriage in ancient Rome was very different than today's society, it was an arrangement between two families. The parents would consult with friends to find suitable partners that could improve the family's wealth or class statues. Men would usually marry in their mid-twenties and women would marry early in their teens.

Role Government Plays in Marriage
A marriage could not take place unless the bride and groom were Roman citizens, or had special permission to marry called conubium.
Free slaves were forbidden to marry citizens until Agustus passed a reform in 18BC called the "lex Julia" where slaves could marry but could not marry senators.
Citizens were not able to marry prostitutes or actresses and provincial official were not allow to marry local women.
Soldiers were not allowed to marry under certain circumstances
marriage with close relatives were forbidden.
UNFAITHFUL wives could not remarry.

An agreement would be singed and the deal would be sealed with a kiss. Marriage had no legal force but rather it was a statement that proved that the couple intended to live together, known as affectio maritalis. "On the wedding day, the groom would lead a procession to his bride's family home, where the bride would be escorted by her bridesmaids to meet her future husband. She would be wearing a tunica recta — a white woven tunic — belted with an elaborate "Knot of Hercules.” She would have carefully arranged hair and would be wearing an orange wedding veil and orange shoes. After the marriage contract had been signed, there would be an enormous feast. The day ended with a noisy procession to the couple's new home, where the bride was carried over threshold so she wouldn't trip — an especially bad omen"(The Roman Empire. pbs.org).

Divorce
Divorce was as simple as marriage which was just a declaration of the couple not living together. The law required that the couple declare their wish to divorce before 7 witnesses.
Divorce was common in upper classes
If wives were found guilty under lex Julia of adultery in a special court, quaestio, might sacrifice the return of half her dowry.
Law did not recognize adultery by husbans.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0502s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb