Rihla #7


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
October 31st 2011
Published: November 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

1) complex religion- The Mayan civilization worshiped many goods and performed many human sacrifices to the gods. Each city state had their own patron god who they worshiped the most. Similar to Roman gods, each god was responsible for Something. For example, Chac was the rain god, Hanab Ku was the creator god, and Cizin was the god of death.

2)city states- The Mayan civilization was not a united civilization. It was similar to Greece because it was many city states that had their own government. But they all had similar cultures and arts.

3)Organized government-They were also ruled by kings. Human sacrifice was done every time a new king came took the thrown. The person sacrificed was a prisoner of war.

4)writing- The mayans used hieroglyphics as their writing,and they would write in folded tree books and place them in royal tombs. Also the hieroglyphs could represent a whole word or a Syllable. They are also the only indigenous people with a written history.

5) Art and architecture - A lot of art was painted on rock,clay, and wood. Many rulers had art created of themselves because they wanted to be remember in history.


Websites used
www.criscenzo.com/jaguarsun/maya.html
http://www.indians.org/welker/maya.HTML




Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0613s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb